Continued: Charter Amendment Committee

Locked   Page 3 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:09 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
Well Iavas, if a group of you wants to usurp authority on an ostensibly democratically governed messageboard and declare the Charter null and void and yourselves in control, I'm not sure what can be done about it. I guess we'll see, won't we?
Historically, if a system of government is set to fall, it will not fall according to its own rules. Nothing wrong with that.. revolution can be a good thing.

[ img ]

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:11 pm
Insolent Pup

No more "what ifs".

What if we do this?
What is we do that?
What is six of us do that, while thirteen of us do this with nine watching those six, four of whom are watching eight of those thirteen who are talking to five of twelve who don't want to get involved?

Huh? What then?

The 11/3 Project

TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:12 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Are you saying we should just do it TED?

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:15 pm
b77 whipping boy

My shoes tell me to just do it...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:15 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Your shoes talk to you?

:Q

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:16 pm
b77 whipping boy

Sometimes, but usually they just let me walk all over them...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:19 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Tee hee, silly silly!

Don't your shoes talk to you Anthy?! :scratch: :D

hal is obviously wearing Nike's which is a whole other issue unto itself, sweatshop support and whatnot....

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:22 pm
b77 whipping boy

I'm not actually now, I didn't say the shoes I was wearing now... just shoes I own...

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:23 pm
Thanks to Holby

Attn Fixer

There were a couple of minor suggested alterations to the 'tightening' proposal that I just want to make sure didn't get lost in the shuffle.

First was the suggestion to make the language a little more clear in the first paragraph. Possible additions (in whatever combination decided) in brackets. Note that these qualifiers are also reflected in the fourth paragraph, so it would be consistent:

Quote:
¶1: The Bike Racks Forum
The Bike Racks Forum is a read and write forum for all members. It is available solely for [earnest attempts at] resolving [genuine] personal disputes. These may be minor in nature or progressively serious up to and including a perceived violation of the by-laws, provided this perceived violation has not already resulted in the request for a hearing.
Then there was the discussion of changing 'decision' to 'action' in these two paragraphs. Because it really doesn't involve decision making but following mandated procedure:
Quote:
If any other than designated participants post in the thread, their posts will be deleted without announcement or other public comment. This action may not be contested. Thread participants may PM a Ranger to alert them when this happens but need not otherwise refer to the post. A Ranger will PM the poster and explain that their post was deleted because they are not a designated participant. If a non-designated poster persists in interrupting the thread, they will be confined to (?) for the duration of the discussion.

If two Rangers agree that a thread has been started for frivolous or farcical purposes rather than in the earnest attempt to resolve a genuine dispute, Administrator will notify the participants and move the thread to an appropriate forum where the participants may continue their discussion unimpeded. This action may not be contested.
Quote:
Fixer's opinions:
1) ...temporary restriction of posting rights to Bike Racks for 24 hours.
2) ...they will be confined OUT of Bike Racks for the duration of the discussion.
Sounds good to me.

ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:25 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Is this forum spamming up yet again?
If you have to spam, please spam elsewhere. This is meant for serious business concerning the wording to the amendment. If there is to be discussion of simplifying/summarising/replacing/or getting rid of rules altogether then start a Business thread about it.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:26 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Cerin, I'll carry those down to the thread.
Jn

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:27 pm
Thanks to Holby

Thanks, Jn.

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:40 pm
Thanks to Holby

Attn Fixer
Quote:
Suggestions entered, and I changed "Administrator" to "a Ranger" since it would be a Ranger doing those actions and not the administrative account.
I purposely had Administrator do the deletions/thread moving so that no single Ranger could be singled out for abuse for following the Charter!

I think this would be an important part of this provision working properly.

Fixer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:46 pm
The Man who Knows his Tools

Cerin wrote:
Attn Fixer
Quote:
Suggestions entered, and I changed "Administrator" to "a Ranger" since it would be a Ranger doing those actions and not the administrative account.
I purposely had Administrator do the deletions/thread moving so that no single Ranger could be singled out for abuse for following the Charter!
Explain. Administrator is an account. Are you saying that Rangers log into the Administrator account to perform the actions stated? If not, then a Ranger does perform the action under their own account and the wording would be incorrect to state otherwise.

[ img ]

The best measure of our accomplishments in life is not what goods we have accumulated or the recognition gained from actions we have performed, but what we leave for others who choose to follow the path we made for them.

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 7:50 pm

Fixer,

"Administrator" is an i.d. used by the Rangers for official actions like Global announcements.

I believe what Cerin is saying is that the use of the i.d. should be one of the options I consider, because it removed the Ranger from personal criticism for actions he/she is bound by the charter to do.

There are pros and cons to this approach, in my opinion, and the committee should probably discuss it.

Jn

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:16 pm
Insolent Pup

Wouldn't that remove the transparency?

The 11/3 Project

Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:18 pm

Yes. TED. I believe that is the counter-argument. I've posted the pro and the con in committee.

Jn

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:19 pm
Insolent Pup

I'll go read.

The 11/3 Project

Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:21 pm
Thanks to Holby

Yes, it removes the transparency of people knowing which Ranger has taken the action. The idea is that the loss of transparency is balanced by allowing Rangers to enforce this one particular unambiguous rule without having to personally fear retribution (in the form of harrassment, abuse, recrimination, personally directed tantrums, etc.).

Whatever the committee decides on the question is fine with me. I just wanted to make sure people were aware of the reasons I wrote it that way.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 8:22 pm
Insolent Pup

I'm not too happy with the loss of transparency, especially since it is one of the stated goals of this board, but I'll just wait until the committee puts forth the amendment choices and either discuss it there, or vote accordingly.

The 11/3 Project

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 3 of 6  [ 120 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: