board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Foist!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Foist!
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 8:36 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Well, unless some other sneaky peak got in first.

Can we talk about any movies here? If not, I'll come back and edit. ;)

What're everyone's top films of 2004??? :mrgreen: I'm gonna go through my ticket stubs and let you know what mine were.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 8:41 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Isn't it the Golden Globe tonight? Or am I again in the wrong week/month or something???

Great to see this up... although I really would like to know what you were on when you created these fora Din must have been something good :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 8:55 pm

*Raises hand*

What in the world does Vidistine nuper imagines moventes bonas? mean?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 8:56 pm

Seen any good movies lately?

:P

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 8:58 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Pretentious, moi :Q

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:00 pm

Rodia wrote:
Seen any good movies lately?

:P
Is that a translation or a question or both? :mrgreen:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:08 pm
Far out

*E*, is there a limit to how many films we can put on our Top Films of 2004 lists? :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:33 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Nope, they air at 8 p.m. EST! I'll be watching just to see what SIDEWAYS doesn't win. :roll:

This isn't a complete list because I'm sure I have a few more tickets scattered around my room (when I come home from the theatre, I just toss any tickets and spare change onto my night table and it can be a while before I remember to put them in "the pile"), but here's all the stubs I currently have (short reviews to come later):

X THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

HIDALGO

* THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST (2)

* DAWN OF THE DEAD

KILL BILL VOL. 2

x SECRET WINDOW

MEAN GIRLS

X VAN HELSING

TROY

SHREK 2 (2)

x THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW

THE NOTEBOOK

ANCHORMAN

* KING ARTHUR (2)

x I, ROBOT

OPEN WATER

EXORCIST: THE BEGINING

COLLATERAL

* HERO

WICKER PARK

CELLULAR

X RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE

* VANITY FAIR

X THE FORGOTTEN

SUSPECT ZERO

SHARK TALE

LADDER 49

X THE VILLAGE

* THE POLAR EXPRESS

x THE GRUDGE

* TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE

() = movies I saw more than once in the cinema and how many times I saw it
* = my favorites
X = complete shite
x = mostly shite ;)

My favorites, in order, would have to be:

1. HERO
2. TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE
3. THE POLAR EXPRESS
4. KING ARTHUR
5. DAWN OF THE DEAD
6. THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
7. VANITY FAIR

I also rented ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, and GARDEN STATE recently. GS was the best of them, and I liked it a lot, I'm just not sure if I would put it on the list. I have trouble discerning a good movie from one that I love, which is why I don't make lists often. ;)

My opinion of the year in whole:

It was a really great summer. Almost every film coming out looked amazing, and though some ended up extremely disappointing (Village, Forgotten), the experience of going to the theatre is always worth it, so imo, it's never really a waste.

Even my local theatre was able to keep up with all the great flicks coming out, and they're usually awful at that sort of stuff. I may have jinxed it because once autumn arrived, they'd keep the same shitty movies around for a month, and not play the "good" flicks at all. And I was really looking forward to seeing (among others) CLOSER, THE LIFE AQUATIC, FINDING NEVERLAND, THE AVIATOR, and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX. They only started playing NATIONAL TREASURE last week (might not be an Oscar movie, but I'll see it for the Beanster), and it took two months for ALEXANDER to come here and it only stayed for a week (so I missed it). PHANTOM OF THE OPERA hasn't so much as farted in our direction yet, and I've been dying to see that one since February.

Would love to participate in the Oscar discussions this year, but I haven't been able to see a single one of the contenders! 2004 seemed to be very low-key anyway. When you think about the flicks getting all the nominations these days, they're mostly independant films and ones that aren't going to make much money. HOTEL RWANDA, KINSEY, MILLION DOLLAR BABY, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, SIDEWAYS, etc.

I still know that RAY, THE AVIATOR, FINDING NEVERLAND, SIDEWAYS, and MILLION DOLLAR BABY will get the Best Picture nominations at the Oscars, though. ;) Wish I could attribute that to my razor sharp brain, but every other award ceremony is nominating those exact five as well. I fear that the 2005 awards will be a year without surprises or much interest.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:36 pm
Tricksy Elf!

King Arthur......... :Q

:bawl: :bawl: :satch:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:37 pm

Farawen wrote:
*E*, is there a limit to how many films we can put on our Top Films of 2004 lists? :mrgreen:
After my last post, I should think not. :P

Usually I just talk about the ones I saw in theatres cuz I don't rent very often, but if you guys can remember any movies you saw that were released in 2004, go ahead and talk about them, list them, rank them, whatever you want.

EDIT: *consoles Din, Leoba, and the other bruised history nuts* I'm sorry you had to be put through KA, TROY, and the rest. ;)

With KA, I saw it twice in theatres because I loved it so much. I bought the DVD this week and love it just as much. I'm not even worried about why others generally hated the thing - I loved it and that's all I need to know. :P To me, it is fantastic to look at, I loved all the actors, some of the set pieces were original and exceedingly exciting to watch (the ice battle), the costumes were wonderful, the music was moving, the story was interesting... even the stuff I didn't like about it doesn't deter me from the rest of the film (god, those Saxons are awful characters - wish they were never in the film). Especially when the stuff I like about it is so good. What really brought me in there was the camraderie between Arthur and his knights. The way they bonded in friendship or in battle really appealed to me. It was like watching superheroes or something. Guinevere's relationship with Lancelot was lame, and she heals far too quickly, but until I am a die-hard Kiera Knightly basher, I will keep quiet.

*E*

Last edited by *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* on Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 9:41 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:Q :oops: just makes me realize how often I've been to the movies last year. Ay ay ay

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:24 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Me too, Alandriel. Of *E*'s list, the only one I saw in the cinema was 'Troy. :oops:

Din bought 'King Arthur' on DVD and I walked out of the sitting room in disgust after maybe half an hour. :sick:

And of course we've seen and bought 'Shrek 2'

I finally saw 'Hidalgo' over Christmas and that was way better than I could have hoped - loved it. Almost enough to consider getting a copy. Certainly it was just an excuse for some Viggo and horsey eye candy and some breathtaking Middle Eastern scenery. But who cares? :mrgreen:

'Shaun of the Dead' was 2004 too wasn't it? Another one we saw once it had wended its way to DVD. Now that was fabulous fun - you can't beat daft zombie films. :LMAO:

I think that's it. :shock: Now you know why I'm not a 'Movies' person. :eh:

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:27 pm
Per aspera ad astra

For me too, the only one on that list I saw in cinema was Troy.....

:shock:

I don't think that I can think of one really good movie I have seen in all 2004 in theatres.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Jan , 2005 11:32 pm

I usually don't commit to a set-in-stone opinion of a film until I've been able to see it twice, but even in my list of top films, three of them I've only seen once. Had really strong reactions to them, however, and I also wrote long reviews, which obviously helps. I'd like to see HIDALGO again, but I'll wait until it plays on tv. In SHAUN OF THE DEAD's case, I watched it in the backseat of my mom's car on the way home from picking my brother up from university. He has his own laptop and downloads a lot of movies on there, so we watched about an hour of it before the batteries ran out. Unfortunately, mom is a smoker and so the windows were open, making the wind whistling by much louder than the computer's volume could go, and I didn't really understand what people were saying. I just remember loving the lead guy's performance. Until I see it a second time through, I'm withholding judgement on Shaun. :cool:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
satch
Post subject: ...Hehe *E*s a dork ;)...
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 5:01 pm

I used to just pile up my movie stubs in a corner of my mess, but my mum went on one of those freaky cleaning sprees, where every inch of the house is her domain to keep spotless (I do feel sorry for her, I am her opposite. Bwahaha...)

So, I don't really remember what movies I saw. I know a hell of a lot of them were pretty crap, but there you go.

I do like Shaun of the Dead though. :mrgreen:

*E*, you didn't like The Grudge? I didn't think it was so bad. Not great of course, but it really wasn't so bad as horror movies go.

"Oats For World Peace!"

Pics from Madagascar: One, Two, Three..., Four!

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 6:14 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Many of these were foisted on me by airlines, but here's what I saw last year:

Excellent
Hero
I, Robot
Shrek 2
The Bourne Supremacy
The Incredibles
The Phantom of the Opera
The Village
Troy

Brainless Fun
Dawn of the Dead
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Kill Bill Vol. 2
National Treasure
Ocean's Twelve
Spider-Man 2

OK
Alien vs. Predator
Blade: Trinity
Meet the Fockers
The Day After Tomorrow
The Stepford Wives

Nah
Alexander
DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story
Garfield: The Movie
Hellboy
Shark Tale

What The Fuck Was I Thinking
Catwoman
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Van Helsing

What The Fuck Were *They* Thinking
Around The World In 80 Days
Thunderbirds

[ img ]

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 11:07 pm
citoyenne du monde

Ok, let see what did I see last year??

- Well Troy of course but I should have abstained :P .

Other than that I saw
- Immortal by Enki Bilal, very good,
- Shrek 2, loved it,
- HP and PoA: was very disappointed with it; it is the best book so far and the least interesting movie :(,
- I Robot (in the plane to France): didn't expect much but it was good,
- Ocean's Twelve: saw it in French only, twas fun ,
- Hellboy: didn't expect much, didn't get much.
oh yes and I saw Around the World in 80 Days over here while I was babysitting and nah nah nah... No way!!! Poor Jules Vernes, he must be spinning around in his tomb.

I saw Phantom of the Opera today so I'm not sure it enters the 2004 category but it's excellent I loved it :mrgreen:

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Jan , 2005 1:45 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
Well Troy of course but I should have abstained
How can you say that :Q One of last years highlights was holding down the Oliphant just because she didn't like comedia ;)

Who can forget 'Saving Private Paris'

and the great lines...

"HECTOR!"

"Who is it?"

Fab film. Must get a copy and make you sit through the entire lot again. Then you can appriciate the historic accuracy of the story, not stained by that Homer simpson chap :P :mrgreen:

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Jan , 2005 10:07 pm
citoyenne du monde

:rofl: :rofl:... yes true, I had a good laugh thanks to you Jester but well I am sure i don't want to sit through the movie again :roll:...

But I forgot two other movies I saw
- Motorcycle diaries : excellent :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

- The Aviator : good movie, Di Carpaccio isn't a bad actor... (that one I saw 2weeks ago so technically in 2005 but it's definitely a 2004 movie:P)

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Teherin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Jan , 2005 11:35 pm
Titch

ok .. i am joining the list of people with kids who have no time for the cinema .. I can honestly say I have not been to the cinema since ROTK.

How sad is that ? It is one of the things I have on my list of Must Do things in 2005 !!!

All I have to do
Is forget I ever loved him ...

Where are you Sirel ...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: