Simplification Committee Comment Thread 2

Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 179 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:11 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Fuck off and don't tell me what to do.
Why don't you tell all of the assholes who ruined this place to screw instead?

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:13 pm

Because some people foolishly think disagreeing about something means horrible destruction but I see disagreeing as just that and nothing more. And because I know what hal and Cerin were fighting for even if I hated the way they were (past tense) fighting for it. What are you fighting for? The end of b77?

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:15 pm

PS - This is week 1 of this committee thing. How many people have been pissed off now? I'm BEGGING the committee - DROP THIS, it is NOT NOT NOT worth it.

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:16 pm
Let the dice fly.

Yov, I love it when someone else says exactly what I'm thinking. Lets me be even lazier. (edit: I don't agree about dropping the committee though. I don't think that's the real trouble here at all.)

Thanks for the input, everyone (even if I still don't understand quorums one bit... :scratch: ). :)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:23 pm

Elian wrote:
(edit: I don't agree about dropping the committee though. I don't think that's the real trouble here at all.)
No, it's not. But it does give us a good place to focus all our differences and grievences. The potential benefit does not outweight the constant harm.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:24 pm
b77 whipping boy

I don't know what the solution is, but having everyone be quiet about what upsets them is not it.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:26 pm

Minus business, there's nothing to fight about anymore.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:26 pm
Another bright red day

Please use this thread for committee related business ONLY.

I, for one, will not hestitate to split off anything that is not related. Everyone says they want this to go quickly. If you all stop bickering, settle down, and pay attention to the business at hand, it will.

On a more constructive note, I liked all of Eru's suggestions. It makes sense to have the current Rangers schedule Ranger terms. I never liked the idea of having the Mayor serve for a whole year, so I'm definitely in favour of shortening that term.

Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Jan , 2006 11:34 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Thanks Kenny :roll:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 2:39 am
Insolent Pup

If we drop it, will people calm down?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 3:12 am
bioalchemist

I wouldn't call the board dying or dead. It's too early in the experiment to even call it a failure. It's just changing. That happens. As I said in another thread, we're still optimizing. And sometimes when you optimize an experiment all you need is a couple tweaks and other times you need something more dramatic. In the lab I typically start with little tweaks because they're cheap and easy and when that doesn't work I go radical. I'm not enough of a social engineer to know what we need here, but since everyone fights over the Charter that seems like as good a place as any to start.
halplm wrote:
I don't know what the solution is, but having everyone be quiet about what upsets them is not it.
Is picking at the old wounds until they bleed again any better? We will never all agree on everything. I've never heard of any community that worked that way unless brain-washing or threats were involved. The best thing to do is simply accept each other's differences and move on. If Board77 is going to be ruled by consensus it's not going to fit with anybody's exact vision. We need to swallow that and move on. NO ONE WILL GET EVERYTHING THEY WANT. That's the way democracies run. Even if we went over to a benevolent dictatorship like most boards, NO ONE WILL GET EVERYTHING THEY WANT. And for the record, I'm not sure we could go over to a benevolent dictatorship. Those systems run when someone has a site and starts up a forum for people to discuss things. We have no attached website. We're just a board and from what I understand of our history it would be very very hard for one person to claim complete ownership.

This stuff gets personal because people let it. A lot of our problems would cease to exist if we all learned not to hit the "submit" button when angry.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 3:13 am
Insolent Pup

Quote:
This stuff gets personal because people let it. A lot of our problems would cease to exist if we all learned not to hit the "submit" button when angry.
:yes:

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 3:24 am
Let the dice fly.

Very true River...I don't know how many times in the past few days I've typed out a post or PM and then hit back instead of going through with it. Usually by the time I type it out I know I shouldn't say it. :roll:

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 3:27 am
b77 whipping boy

I haven't posted angry all week... hasn't helped people's perception of me.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 3:56 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

halplm wrote:
I haven't posted angry all week... hasn't helped people's perception of me.
Well i'd have to be honest Hal and say that in your latest exchange with Cerin you seemed angry.

Just my perception you understand.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 3:58 am
b77 whipping boy

well, I wasn't, which just goes to show how reading things into what people say on the internet isn't really a good idea.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 4:09 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Agreed :)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 4:12 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Please stop before this escalates. I'm not assigning blame or evil motives to anyone here, but turning this line of conversation personal will only lead to more hurt feelings. I don't want to see anyone's feelings hurt.

Please keep the conversation on topic specific to simplification of the Charter or generalized to appropriate messageboard behavior that does not get into references (oblique or otherwise) to specific posters. (Think that covers all the bases!) Otherwise, I'll have to split off the OT posts.

Thank you, everyone.

And a :hug: for good measure because I really do love you all and love b77 and want things to work out well.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 5:05 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

TED,

Do me a favor. Make an agenda for the committee and have the committee vote to approve the agenda. Then follow it.

Wait till your straw poll is over if you want to, but please put the committee's work into some form that the rest of us can see what you are trying to accomplish.

I don't care how much work you decide to take upon yourself, or what order you do it in, or what result you come up. You have my blessing as a committee, for the little that means, to do whatever you feel you need to do; and I will have my chance along with every other member, to vote on that result at the very end.

But I honestly cannot make heads or tails of what the committee is trying to do at this point. It's very difficult to consider, discuss, or ask questions when the committees purpose is so unclear and the topic it seems to be addressing changes every day.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 5:37 am
Insolent Pup

You're right. I'll get to work on the official agenda.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 179 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: