Greenpeace co-founder praises global warming

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Greenpeace co-founder praises global warming
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 8:44 pm

I never thought that ...

Greenpeace co-founder praises global warming
Quote:
Global warming and nuclear energy are good and the way to save forests is to use more wood.

That was the message delivered to a biotechnology industry gathering yesterday in Waikiki. However, it wasn't the message that was unconventional, but the messenger — Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore. Moore said he broke with Greenpeace in the 1980s over the rise of what he called "environmental extremism," or stands by environmental groups against issues such as genetic crop research, genetically modified foods and nuclear energy that aren't supported by science or logic.

Hawai'i, which is one of the top locations nationwide for genetically modified crop research, has become a focal point in the debate about the risks and value of such work. Friction between environmentalists and other concerned groups and the biotech industry surfaced most recently in relation to the use of local crops to grow industrial and pharmaceutical compounds. Last year that opposition halted a Big Island project planning to use algae for trial production of pharmaceutical drugs.

Zero-tolerance standards against such research by environmental groups delay developments that could help those with unmet basic needs, Moore said. Instead Moore called for compromise rather than confrontation on the part of the environmentalists.

"There's no getting away from the fact that over 6 billion people wake up each day on this planet with real needs for food, energy and materials," he told those attending a luncheon at a three-day Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy.

The event was sponsored by the Biotechnology Industry Organization. Sponsors included Dupont, Carghill and the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, which spent $15,000 to support the conference.

In direct opposition to common environmentalist positions, Moore contended that global warming and the melting of glaciers is positive because it creates more arable land and the use of forest products drives up demand for wood and spurs the planting of more trees. He added that any realistic plan to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and the emission of so-called greenhouse gases should include increased use of nuclear energy.

Among the 300 or so members in the audience yesterday was Henry Curtis, executive director for environmental group Life of the Land. Curtis said he found Moore's comments "interesting."

"He's obviously thought about things," Curtis said. "But I don't buy a lot of his arguments.

"I think the movement dealing with (genetically modified organisms) is very wide. You can't just say everybody that's against it is against it for this reason and they're totally against it.

"Part of what we're doing in the environmental movement is safeguarding the downsides," Curtis added. "We don't want to see a downside that we don't anticipate overwhelming the system."

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 9:21 pm

CG
the article states that the man in question broke with Greenpeace back in the 1980's. Why is it such a surprise that he would make these remarks given his history?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 9:25 pm

Yes, he broke with them in the 1980s because, apparently, he saw the group moving away from him. What's surprising is that, given where he started, he's making these statements. They're weird even for the old pre-radical Greenpeace.

Profile Quote
wilko185
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 9:49 pm

I think that Moore's comments on renewable wood fuel, (safe!-ish) nuclear power and genetic modification (depending on it having effective control) are perfectly valid. But I've not seen any mainstream scientific commentators who think that the positive effects of global warming will outweigh the negative ones (most predictions run in the short to medium term, I dare say that in the long term a warmer earth might be a good thing in a few scenarios).

The causes of global warming are highly controversial; but that the planet is in fact getting warmer in the short to medium term is obvious. How we cope with this is not being seriously addressed by most governments, IMO.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 10:14 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

We are definitely going to have to learn to cope with it. even if we were able to completely stop the human activities that contribute, the planet would still be warming, as it has since the end of the last ice age, nothing we can do to stop that.

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 11:33 pm

oldt is a little bit right

the world has not been continuously warming since the end of the last ice age, rather it has periods of warming and periods of cooling,proper names Intertadial/Interglacial - at the moment we are in a warming bit.

At the time that stonehenge was built UK had a mediterranean climate - since when it has cooled pretty steadiliy, until the 18th century since when it's been warming.

Folks the evidence for this is very strong, I personally believe undeniable.

So maybe fossil fuel are accelerating the progress, but we have a long way to go until the climate in Salford is comparable with the Riviera

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jan , 2006 11:42 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Hehe yes quite true. My point was just that its been warming overall since the end of the last ice age, for sure there were periods where the trend was for cooling, ie there has been more warming than cooling (otherwise we would have experienced another ice age) :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: