board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The belief game

Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 118 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Feb , 2006 8:28 pm

Difficult one. In my country at least, drugs ould be the morer important issue for me.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Feb , 2006 8:33 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
and if I like nothing of my choices?

gun rights --- ugggh

legalized drugs --- ugggh
I think you misunderstand. If, say, you pick gun rights, you get to have your way with gun rights - whatever you say (total ban, total freedom, somewhere in between) becomes the law. But you have to give up the drug issue completely to your opponents.

Since I have no stance on gun rights, this one's easy - I pick drugs (decriminalization of just bout everything is my policy of choice). Since I have no "opposition" on the gun issue, they can't do anything much to piss me off. :D

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Feb , 2006 10:44 pm

So if I left people who care about gun rights have their way - then I have my way on drugs?

My option on drugs would be to completely and totally wipe them off the face of the earth with not one person using illegal drugs or misusing legal ones. That does not appear to be the option .

So am I then left with nothing just like I thought I was?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Feb , 2006 11:13 pm

I was assuming we were talking about political or legal options. Do you not have a preference on what drug laws should be? Do you think current drug policies should/could be improved?

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 1:52 am

Quote:
Do you think current drug policies should/could be improved?
YES

I would like to have a real, actual, true, balls to the walls WAR on Drugs.

What is called by that name is a joke and a half-assed mini-effort.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 2:33 am
Waiting for winter

yovargas wrote:
Gun rights vs Drug legalization
I’ll pick gun rights and I’ll strengthen gun control laws to keep firearms out of the hands of idiots and morons in order to solve the problem we have of our vice president shooting people.

:D

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 2:46 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Tinwe, I just saw that on the news!!! :LMAO: Soooo funny. :P

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 6:43 pm
Insolent Pup

Thanks for starting the next round, yova. When I saw it was you who posted the next set, I knew I wouldn't have to worry about any issues lacking in gravity.

SF, it's a game. It might not be indictative of real life or even in the realm of real life, but an attempt for people to examine their beliefs when put up against something else they might believe in strongly (either for or against).

Gun rights v drug legalisation poses quite a predicament. On the one hand to legalize drugs completely (thereby making guns illegal) could potentially cut down on some drug-related violent shootings, which is a benefit, but the downside could be a greater and greater chunk of society becoming addicted to worse things. On the other hand to make drugs completely illegal with guns completely legal, there could be a rise in violent shootings, but you would trample on the rights of legitimate gun owners (which I happen to agree with).

This one is tough. I'm going to weigh some consequences and decide after my shower.

Thanks again, yova.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 6:48 pm
Daydream Believer

Drug legalization.

Why because when one is stoned on pot one drives real slow, if at all. Accidents would be a lot less. Plus Elmer...er I mean Dick wouldn't be shooting friends. I mean if Dick was stoned on pot...what would he have done, thrown a twinkie at the guy?

The only regret I have is that it wasn't the first president Bush's vice president that Cheney shot. 'I thought it was a Quail' ....'it was a Quayle'.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:15 pm

yovargas wrote:
Next matchup:

Gun rights vs Drug legalization
Ouch. This one is a tough one.

Hm, would I rather erase all laws that prevent non-criminals from owning guns, or get rid of the drug war.

I think I must choose to get rid of the gun laws. Even without the drug war, there will still be criminals out there that we need protection from, even if getting rid of the drug war will reduce the number of criminals.

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:40 pm

Yeah I would get rid of gun-laws. There will always be people one needs to defend one's self against, and firearms are the best way to do that.

I despise the so-called "war on drugs" because it actually creates a market for these substances and generates criminal activity as a result. But as CG said, even if the war on drugs was eliminated and the market for drugs collapsed, there would still be bad guys around.

That's my decision.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:44 pm

Damn. Totally legal guns and totally illegal drugs? Are you sure that's your choice?

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:49 pm

Yovi, you set it up. You made us choose one or the other. I'd rather be able to protect myself from all criminals than reduce the number of criminals by ending the rediculous drug war.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:55 pm
Insolent Pup

yova wrote:
Damn. Totally legal guns and totally illegal drugs? Are you sure that's your choice?
This is one of the reason I'm having some difficulty between these issues. As much as I am against infringing on people's liberty to own a gun for whatever reason they want (hunting, sporting, defense, collecting), I do see the potentially huge problem without gun laws and all drugs forbidden. I don't think I could, even in the game, eliminate illegal trafficking. Although.. perhaps with stricter drug laws, law enforcement, the war on drugs could make some serious headway in eliminating drugs.

The other thing with liberty is that you could impinge on people's liberty to do what they want with their bodies (take drugs), but at the price of impinging on their liberty to defend themselves or hunt, etc. I've only fired a lame little .22 calibur rifle at boy scout camp, but I have done a couple of drugs and I definitely didn't want to hear anyone telling me what I can and cannot do for my enjoyment. Although my feelings have taken a turn at this point in my life... I'd actually like to learn how to fire a gun and go to a shooting range, whereas I don't do drugs because I don't care about them anymore.

Decisions, decisions... I'm going for... erase gun laws, make drugs illegal...

Edit: I think yova is just offering up where the decision could cause problems, CG. He seems to know what he was doing in setting up these choices.

Last edited by TheEllipticalDisillusion on Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 7:55 pm

yovargas wrote:
Well, not literally *all* gun-laws. I'd still have some rules. Mainly rules having to do with people with a criminal record and such. Otherwise, someone with no criminal record should be able to walk into a gun shop and buy an m4a1 with silencer just like he was buying a new tool set or a bunch of banannas. ;)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 8:01 pm

After seeing CG/Oni's choice, I realized I really hate guns so I guess I do have a stance, or at least a preference. I'd still pick decriminilized drugs, but it would mean much greater gun freedom. My tough choice is CG's ideal. :P

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 8:03 pm
Insolent Pup

Don't you have that backwards, yova? :scratch: Wouldn't decriminalized drugs mean no gun freedom?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 8:07 pm

Look at my last post:
Quote:
After seeing CG/Oni's choice, I realized I really hate guns so I guess I do have a stance, or at least a preference.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 8:09 pm
Insolent Pup

My apologies.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 8:34 pm

yovargas wrote:
After seeing CG/Oni's choice, I realized I really hate guns so I guess I do have a stance, or at least a preference. I'd still pick decriminilized drugs, but it would mean much greater gun freedom. My tough choice is CG's ideal. :P
You are the first libertarian I've ever met who feels that way about guns.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 118 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: