board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Why was Troy so terrible?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Jan , 2005 6:01 pm

IMO, a film that starts with changing the character Patroclus from being Achilles' lover to his "cute younger cousin" just for the sake of some prudish and ridiculous set of rules can only deliver what this one does: a couple of great bodies, a cool fighting scene here and there, a lot of wasted talent (and of course I do not mean Orlandolas' :roll:), pages and pages of cheesy lines and quite an irreverent treatment of the original story.
Ditto.

Get him bathed and send him to my tent!...
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 31 Jan , 2005 9:05 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Haven't read Illiad and know pretty much zip about the historical period, so to me it was 'just' a blockbuster, and not a bad one at that. Greatest movie evah? Definitely not.

In my ever-persisting defense for Brad Pitt, I must say, that it wasn't his acting that annoyed me, but more the lines that Achilles got. He turned out to be such a jerk... But bad acting? Nah, I don't think so. Though Bana was better.

Same with Braveheart. Historically terribly inaccurate, but hell. It's pulp, but good pulp at that...;):mrgreen:

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2005 2:37 am
citoyenne du monde

Er... let see, why was Troy such a shitty movie???
You don't want to know all the reasons I have...

As for the horse, to be totally honest, it really looked like the Monty Python's rabbit :devil: :devil: .
The taking of the beach looked like some "Saving Private Paris"
Oh and "HECTOR!!!" Who is it??
Those were the funny parts, for which I have to thank Din :mrgreen:...

Something weird also... Priam asks for his son to be returned to him so that he can give him the money to pass the Styx and guess what; when he's being burnt, he's got no coins on his eyes :rofl: :rofl: :roll: logic logic???

But to name but a few
"Are you alright?", when Briseis had just been about to be raped... I could imagine the answer in my head "Yes, sure, what better than being raped to finish such a great day" :roll:
Talking of her, what the hell! She's not Paris/Hector's cousin for God's sake!!

Oh yes, and Achilles entering in Troy; hello the guy had been killed before!!!
Choice choice; we see Tetys the Nereid but we don't see any of the other gods... Coherence?
Oh and how could 10 men take the bloody beach?? And why would the temple of Apollo be outside of the city? Usually they would be inside... Me wondering...

Ok I'll stop there :P :P...
But to sum up: bad actors (mostly), poor lines... and I don't even recall the music, which is really rare with me, since usually that's what I remember best.

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2005 8:27 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
In my ever-persisting defense for Brad Pitt, I must say, that it wasn't his acting that annoyed me, but more the lines that Achilles got. He turned out to be such a jerk...
Oddly, that was one of the few things they got right. Achillies was a jerk, the anallogy would be David Beckham. A low brain but good looking bloke who is good at an activity (warfare). But he was also impervious to hurt (except ankle) and knew it. He is the epitomy of the bully and the jerk. The school football captain or rugby captain, that sort of thing.

The film also looked bad, I mean really bad. The armour was more sci-fi that 1500BC (or whatever you think the date), and made no sense. and the warfare was just nuts, had nothing to do with the tactics employed in that period.

It would have made an ok Fantasy epic, but was deverstated by attaching TROY to it.

Just a crap film.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 09 Feb , 2005 4:03 pm

Quote:
A low brain but good looking bloke who is good at an activity (warfare).

Pah! David Beckham is not that good-looking neither is he such a great footballer ;)

Get him bathed and send him to my tent!...
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2005 11:14 pm
through the looking glass

Okay so it wasn't dreadful. Just mediocre with practically zero connenction to the Iliad, other than the names ...

Brad Pitt? The nekkid part was nice. I liked that! <insert minor drool>
but played as an angst-ridden, introspective and thoroughly selfish hero pontificating upon the meaning of his life ..... Meh!

Orlando? Poor Orlando. He tried so hard and failed so miserably.

One decent scene: O'Toole as Priam in Achilles tent. The rest was the waste of a good cast sleepwalking through their parts and Julie Christie's cameo .... she's a great actress and you'd never guess it from watching that scene.

Definately a rental. Unfortunately, I bought it. :(

Profile Quote
philociraptor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:43 pm
Mr Phlibbles

I think if they had made the film with puppets it would have seemed less wooden, utter bobbins IMO. Orlando bloom what a laughable actor another keanu in the making :)

"if wishes were fisheses the world would be an ocean"

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: