The Last Homely Site on the Web

Modding: Decision Thread

Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 8:39 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Thanks Jny for opening this :mrgreen: The flu has me somewhat fuzzy headed and I need to formulate my thoughts properly on all this before throwing a post in. But I wanted to say one thing now from my point of view:

I would never want to see a mod position created for B77 even if we open our doors one day in the future.

What I would want is having a system set up and ready in case one day we get into the position of needing it - a contingency plan for 'emergies' if you want. And for that we'll need to sort out these questions and I'll get back to you all when my brain feels less like jelly.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 8:49 pm
Milk and kisses

Ow Alandriel... lots of sympathy from here :( Take care and get well soon! :hug:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 11:43 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Get well soon Alandriel, and don't take RL too hard.

So what do we need?

A troll patrol (or a short squad ;) ) - for detecting trolls
or The Éorlingas - for welcoming newbies as a tutoring system ?

A Council (for petitions)

The Stewards ( for Admin-tasks )

something else?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 11:49 pm
Milk and kisses

Please, no Steward title... too TORC-like for comfort. ;):D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 11:52 pm

Maybe let's not complicate too much. I think all we need is those Admins-shirrifs. Maybe add to that a couple of On-duty Techies who know how these boards work. But no mods in the TORC sense.

We need not worry about power trips or anything like that if they rotate. Seriously. Add a rule that no one may be an admin twice in a row, and it's foolproof.

If we have complete transparency, it doesn't need to be complicated. The public will know about everything that happens when it happens, I don't see an inch of space for an admin to abuse the system.

I mean we want to try complete transparency, right? It's a radical step away from what we knew at TORC but it's a sensible one I think.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 11:52 pm
Sharpe-sighted

There are Stewards at TORC? :scratch

sorry then, Ber, I just wanted to find names for the jobs that would be a bit Tolkienesk, as I thought I felt a common dislike against calling the admining job a "Mod".....

:mrgreen:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2005 11:55 pm

How about something humbling. :devil: Like...Janitors.

:P

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 12:04 am
Milk and kisses

LOL, I like janitors :LMAO:
Areanor: mods on TORC are "Stewards of Imladris". :)

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 12:11 am
Sharpe-sighted

LOL, Ber, I really forgot that.........

shows that I'm not paying attention to the Mods on TORC......

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 12:21 am
Milk and kisses

Good point :LMAO:

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 4:26 am
Triathlete

How about Rangers?

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 5:20 am
Try to stay perky

I like the idea of an all-encompassing jack-of-all-trades to do the Sheriffing (or Rangering) - the necessary board clean up of trolls and keeping the peace, and a band of techno-geeks willing and able to do the technical stuff.

The techies could be a permanent, large motley crew who could be called upon, while the sheriff would be temporary, one-rotation only. And I don't like the idea of hierarchy - it's simply a matter of who picks up the broom for a bit.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 8:49 am
Tricksy Elf!

How about no mod's, even mod's in nice tweed jackets mascarading as hot dog salesmen.

Much safer, much less open to abuse.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 10:49 am

Din, but if you don't have ANYONE who has access to admin functions, who's gonna do stuff like make stickies, count polls, delete 15x posts, upgrade the software, you know, all that shit that needs to be done?

I think we all agree that we don't want a squad of vigilantes, but even right now we have admins. Because we need them. Now, if I know someone is there for three months because I chose them, then I don't want them to be afraid of making a quick decision. Like banning the guy who posts virus links in all the forums. Or whatever. They're rare cases.

My initial draft made them much more involved- okay, I was just drafting. Let's scrap that. No mod involvement. It can work. But there has to be an emergency plan. If like I said earlier, no individual quick decision by a mod/admin/whateverwecallem is final, and has to be discussed openly on the boards (even the banning of mr virus) then I don't see what problem there could be.

It's either that, or give everyone admin status. Someone has to have it, otherwise we'll drown in technical problems.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 11:15 am
Gloriosus

Tribunes. Tribunes of the people. Elected to do the admin jobs, preside in court cases and speak the law.

Boo, I'm too romanesque these days.

– – –

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 11:54 am
Per aspera ad astra

Mummpizz :love:

Will be back with something more constructive.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 12:14 pm
Milk and kisses

Tribunes, Rangers, all good choices :LMAO:
And I still think that even if we don't have them, we need to have a Plan B in case we need them. :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:15 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Rodia wrote:
Din, but if you don't have ANYONE who has access to admin functions, who's gonna do stuff like make stickies, count polls, delete 15x posts, upgrade the software, you know, all that shit that needs to be done?
As far as the stickies, polls, deleting...well just give the mods the power to do so. Heck we could even let normal posters do that if we wanted.

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 3:37 pm
Far out

Well.

No mods. That's been our 'dream' from the start, and I think we should try it.

But we do have to have some sort of conflict management (for lack of a better word) on here. And I don't think the admins should be relied upon to do that; they are the Tech People, right? Plus, separation of power and all that. (Leoba's got me going on that one now :mrgreen: :D)

I have a suggestion. Let's conduct a little experiment. A pre-operating study of sorts, if you will. Right now all this is pretty much a thought experiment. Let's take it a step further. In order to know how to fix things and deal with stuff, we need to know what exactly can "break". Let's:

1) appoint two, maybe three members of this board "troublemakers". (ME! PICK ME! PLEASE, PICK MEEEEEEEEE! *cough*) They would preferrably register a "troublemaker" ID as opposed to using their regular ID, but everybody would know it's an experiment of course, and who's behind the troublemaker ID.

2) have them behave like a) trolls, b) abusive posters harassing another poster (preferrably another of the troublemaker ID people), c) whatever else we think a future real troublemaker could possibly come up with.

3) Come to think of it, we should maybe consider having an experiment forum, because I for one definitely wouldn't want to have it all over the board.

4) And lastly, come up with ideas, solutions, see things we've overlooked, and as a final product, hopefully have our own unique way to deal with things related to "modding" or whatever we want to call it.

Now, I know probably everyone on here has had some experience with trolls and the like, and I don't want to re-invent the wheel here; I am hoping that as we go along we may see problems (and solutions!) we haven't been thinking of before, and one advantage is that we can always put the experiment on pause, discuss what's been going on, come up with solutions, and then start the experiment again and apply them. This would be a group process.

(Necessary disclaimer: This idea may be totally stupid, I freely admit, but if it is I don't see it because I had my sociology class today and I'm on a sociology high of some sort. Chances are I'll re-read this tomorrow and hide under my desk in shame. Ahem.)

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 4:40 pm
Gloriosus

Ummm ... I prefer to battle a real troll if he (it?) shows up instead of slapping you, disguised as "troublemaker".

And having you (as "troublemaker") telling me that I'm fat and ugly and don't know my latin (as I am really slender and pretty etc).

– – –

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: