board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should Simple Majority Rule?

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 118 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Should Invites be Determined by Simple Majority of Those Voting?
Poll ended at Fri 11 Feb , 2005 9:37 pm
Yes

46% [ 11 ]
No

54% [ 13 ]
Total votes: 24
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 1:47 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

If we're opening up the boards in x months anyway, I see little or no point in a revote on a candidate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:02 pm
Milk and kisses

I think it depends on how far in the future that opening is. Some people here are saying six months, others one year... And in some cases, people may want to bring up inviting their friend(s) before then.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:10 pm
Far out

If my little world were ideal, we would just fuhgeddabout the whole voting-members-in thing, work on the other stuff we need to work on (how to deal with trolls and er, negative people on the boards, etc.), get our agenda sorted out, and then open this puppy up ASAP.

But meanwhile, simple majority system with nifty veto thing is fine with me. :D Although the ex-student of political theory in me cringes at the mixing of legislative and executive functions, but hey, sticking to rules not always the best solution, right? :mrgreen: :Q ;)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:16 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Farawen,

It's a bit like one of those world-building games like Age Of Empires, where you have to divide your resources between growth of population and growth of a town's infrastructure (and growth of defences - not so applicable here).

Unless all borders are pushed simultaneously, overall growth is limited.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:18 pm
Milk and kisses

I loved Age of Empires!!! :D

Er... not sure if revealing that was such a smart move. :Q

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:18 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Combining the legislative and executive powers is pretty much how the British Parliamentary system runs. In the person of the Lord Chancellor, there's the judiciary added to that as well.

Don't mind me, I'm just being random...

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:28 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Seriously though. When it comes to voting - don't we need people to post in the thread as well as tick the voting box.

As far as I know there is no way for Admins to monitor who has voted what or how many times, so we're operating entirely on trust. I'm not suggesting for a minute that anyone here would want to fix the vote, but pointing out that in the interests of utter transparency and fairness, we shouldn't be making voting anonymous. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:28 pm
Far out

Ummmm... that's checks and balances, Leoba. Another term for the same thing is separation of powers, which is kind of misleading though, since it's not really a separation of powers, but a working together of powers, and thus controlling each other.

What I meant was that the veto thing is pretty much an executive thing, as in, the President's veto to a bill of law (for example), and rather uncommon in legislature. A single member of parliament couldn't stop a bill from becoming law, for example, since legislature usually works on a majority principle. :)

*sw00nz for Age of Empires*

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:29 pm
Milk and kisses

Stop it, Fara. :Q
*freaks out - yet again*

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:30 pm
Far out

What did I do? Oh, wait... oh Gawd, don't tell me you... and I... and... :Q

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:32 pm
Milk and kisses

Yes.

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:34 pm
Far out

That's... scary.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:35 pm
Milk and kisses

Yes.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:45 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Leoba wrote:
As far as I know there is no way for Admins to monitor who has voted what or how many times, so we're operating entirely on trust.
hmmm, every time I voted, afterwards I only saw the results of the vote, and not a voting option anymore? I don't think it's possible to vote more than once. Well, for the non-Admins that is, dunno about the Admins.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:49 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

You're right.

I don't know why they let me out today.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 2:51 pm
Sharpe-sighted

So I can have a good laugh?
:damnfunny

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 4:53 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I see a veto as something different:

If 20 people vote yes and five no - the person would be in.

But if 20 people vote yes and one person puts in a veto, the person would have to wait.

Veto outrules the majority.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 6:36 pm
That Weird American

As a few people seem to be pointing out, why have a yes/no voting system at all with the veto system? It's begging for abuse...but more importantly, as you can see over in the thread concerning them, the people that haven't gotten in were the ones with serious issues.

[reality_check]How many of you would just say "no" to a person, but not try to veto them? I just don't see it...I can't think of anyone who'd vote "no" without a significant reason. That reason, more than likely, would be enough for a veto.[/reality_check]

Connected with this...I'm curious, how many "no" votes have been done on people who've gotten in? Could an admin check this out?

If people like the veto system, why don't we just go with what I suggested...a thread, opened for veto. If there aren't any after 10 days, they're in. If someone works a veto, it's delayed a couple months/till the board opens. I Really, REALLY, REALLY don't see why we need "yes" votes...so we can see who's the most liked person? That's all that registers...how many people know a person.

Personally, I prefer "veto", but don't mix it with the majority system...that just doesn't make sense, and just makes for bad feelings...when 20 people voted yes and got overruled by one person.

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 6:43 pm
Milk and kisses

Guru, I might be wrong, but I don't recall that anyone who's in got any "no" votes. But don't quote me on that. :)

I quite like your "speak up only if you want to veto this person" method. I see only one problem with it: we could be confusing abstentions (from people who are on vacation, busy elsewhere, or who haven't seen the thread) with acceptance.

I personally have no problem with that, because I would like to accept virtually anyone into B77, but judging from the opinions being expressed lately I can see how some might object to that. :)

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 7:49 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Guru - I see a difference. I have voted no only once so far - and that meant for me: I'd prefer not to have this poster on the board.

But: A veto has the meaning: If this person comes I might leave. This is stronger than just discomfort with someone.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 118 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: