Post Reply   Page 7 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 10 »
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 2:18 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
:roll: at Sylar escaping yet again.
Silly silly foolish *E* All your big comic book supervillans NEVER really get defeated for good. Your Magnetos, your Jokers, your Apocaplypses and your Lex Luthors....they ALWAYS survive to fight another day.

Oh and iddnt Molly just the cutest? ;)

Quote:
and the climax was... fabulous but I guess I was thinking it would top the Five Years Gone episode,
Well I was thinking it was gonna be short and the actual fight with Sylar would be fairly quick. They coulda took up a whole hour doing a knock down dragout fight for the climax, really it begged for two hours.

P.S. you really need to stop trying to apply logic to this episode. :P

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 2:45 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

oldtoby wrote:
Silly silly foolish *E* All your big comic book supervillans NEVER really get defeated for good. Your Magnetos, your Jokers, your Apocaplypses and your Lex Luthors....they ALWAYS survive to fight another day.
It's not just comic books where the villains are hard to defeat or continually cheat death. And I'm still rolling my eyes because that was a major wound he got. If he's still alive, the world is not safe from nuclear attack. That makes Nathan's death even more useless if he didn't stop a damn thing and if Peter could have flown up there himself.
Quote:
P.S. you really need to stop trying to apply logic to this episode. :P
What else is there to say? Even if I talked about how attractive the cast was, there's no point since it is television and therefore everyone is good-looking. I'm not sure how to talk about perceived inconsistencies or things I found unrealistic if it can all be attributed to the show being based on comic books. Seems like an unfair way around valid concerns, I guess. Sure there are superpowers, but it was always treated in a realistic manner, like with LOTR and it's fantasy elements. Can't have it both ways. I won't critique someone's jetstream when they fly, but when they act out of character, yes, it seems like that should be called out.

I dunno.

*E*

Last edited by *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* on Tue 22 May , 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 3:03 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
What else is there to say?...

Psst!!! I was just teasin ;) ;) ;) ;)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 3:13 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Toby, it is you, so I know you were being light-hearted. :P But I guess it was a general question. Every science fiction tv show or film out there, anyone critiques it and the fans are like, "dude, people fly or hang with space aliens here, you can't apply logic to it!" which to me sounds like a big cheat to excuse a person out of whatever crazy thing they end up writing. You know? Just trying to lay some groundwork, I suppose, to avoid wasting my time on future issues. Sure, things seem dumb as times, but I can keep it to myself. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 3:24 am
Not so deep as a well

There is a difference between internal consistency and plausibility that people often miss if they don't much like "fantastic" fiction or media to begin with. The former is required of anything that is going to be comprehensible.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 3:32 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Well I think the only answer to *E*'s comments is that shes certainly right there were more logical things that could have been done....

But no doubt the writers were going for something dramatic and emotional for an ending. Sure Claire coulda just popped a cap in Peter, shutting him down, and then he'd heal due to having her regeneration ability.... but its not quite as dramatic.

Noble sacrifice and redemption trumps consistency every time. hehe ;)

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 1:26 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

When Peter first started to go nuclear, my wife looked at me and said, "Can't he fly?"

I thought for about half a second and said, "Yeah, but trying not to explode is pretty taking up his full attention right now. If he tried to access another power, he'd probably completely lose his grip and go KFB* ."

There ya go. Internal consistency. It was totally obvious to me, but then again, I've been reading comic books forever.

And Peter can't regenerate if the part of his brain that controls his powers is gone (or has a stick or a peice of glass or a bullet in it). Which I'm pretty much sure it is. Sorry, I know he's cute and emo and all that. But I'm pretty sure the dude is dead for real.

As for Sylar, who knows.

And If Claire shot peter in the head and missed that spot, then no telling what could happen. And even if she hit it, Peter might still explode as he died. That danger, and the fact that Claire could wait longer than anyone else thereby giving Peter every opportunity to rein himself in, makes Claire the best person to sgoot him. not the only one, but the best one. But having nathan remove him from the scene is an even better solution. Except for the whole part about Nathan dying. That part is great for us cuz we get the whole tragic redemption thing, which is a classic. But it kinda sucks for Nathan.

BTW, I read in Wired that Volume 2 (Generations) is gonna focus on the history of "the organization". I just looove origin stories. :love:
I'm especially curious to know what Mama Petrelli's power is.

*KFB=ker-fucking-boom

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 1:42 pm

I think all the lights in NYC should have gone out from the EMP pulse when Peter went boom.

Nathan is toast, but I think Peter will recover.

And as far as Sylar's wound- from where Hiro hit him, it's kinda possible that he missed the heart and the major arteries.
[ img ]
It was a straight stab, without a lot of slicing motion- so if he just happened to miss both the heart and the major blood vessels going down the spine and just punctured a lung- it would leave Sylar able to crawl away once he got over the shock.

OR, maybe Sylar dropped by Linderman's office a little earlier and ate his brain? Or whatever he does to the brains... And now he has Linderman's healing power?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 4:59 pm
Wembley bound

*E*, why do you suppose Nathan is dead? I bet you anything he'll be back next year. He probably flew him up there and flew away.

I thought it was awesome how Nikki came in and unwittingly gave Peter her superstrength. Peter now just needs Sylar's telepathy ability to be uber-cool!!! :D

So I guess next season we'll find out who the man who's "worse than the boogyman" is. Any guesses? I think it might be a brand new character, I don't think it will be Linderman.

That scene with the black man Peter was taking care of at the begining of the series was pretty freaky and cool!

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 11:04 am

I was sitting there eating lunch yesterday, not even consciously thinking about it, when suddenly it hit me - Of course Peter's not dead!

In Five Years Gone, everybody thought it was Sylar that blew up NYC. But we found out it was actually Peter. And Peter was still alive afterwards. This makes sense assuming it was Ted's power causing the explosion (which also makes sense. Ted had trouble controlling it and he had only one power to deal with.) But Ted's fire never burned him. His wife died of radiation poisoning, he burned the Bennett's house down around himself, he charred Claire's skin off (although her cheerleader outfit remained remarkably intact). But Ted himself never got burned. So Peter's explosion wasn't a literal physical explosion, just an explosive burst of energy.

And, as TWT pointed ut, Nathan isn't necessarily dead either. Yeah, I know he told Peter that he woudn't leave him, but if Peter figured out that he would live through the explosion and explained that to Nathan, he could talk Nathaninto flying him up as high as he could and then flying away. Peter freefalls long enough to let Nathan get a safe distance away but still high enough not to blow up NYC. Then Peter lets go the explosion, after which he can concentrate on either flying himself down or healing from the fall.

Which is all even more internally consistent than what I said last time. :)

Besides, the Petrelli Brothers are too popular for NBC to kill off.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 11:32 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
he charred Claire's skin off (although her cheerleader outfit remained remarkably intact).
She must be related to the Incredible Hulk. :lol:

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 1:46 pm

The jacket she was wearing at the time burned off. That's what protected the outfit underneath.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 1:52 pm

I don't know about all that.

But I'm sure that teenage boys across America curse the miracle flameproof properties of Claire's magic cheerleader outfit.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 7:39 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Cause who wouldnt want to see blackened boobs?
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 9:44 pm
b77 whipping boy

ah but they would becom unblackened... :)

No one died in this episode at all. They may make us think some people are dead for a while, but the door is open for them all to come back.

I was just glad there was no "cliffhanger" like we've seen so much of in recent years. The teaser at the end is great... "what will happen?" is a fine question... "how will we resolve the climax of the season?" is not :)

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 May , 2007 2:21 am
Wembley bound

I completely agree with that last thing Hal said. I hate when they leave a season as a cliffhanger. They way season 1 of Lost ended pissed me off royally.

Good writing.

And if we want to get nit-picky about the Five Years Gone episode then Sylar can fly which means he must have gotten Nathan's brain which means Nathan didn't die. Of course that was in a scenario where New York did blow up and in the reality we saw in the finaly(sp?) New York escaped that fate because of Nathan. So who knows what happened to him but I'll guess that he's back next season.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Sep , 2007 2:48 am
Another bright red day

I just got to watch the Season 1 finale (yes, I know I missed the bandwagon) and it was pretty darn good. It ended up being a little anti-climactic, but that's okay. I was sort of expecting that Hiro would actually use his new sword skills (in others, Hiro's dad is hardcore!) but of course that would be a little useless against Sylar. (Best line of the entire show was Ando's: Hiro, you look bad-ass. I love that they ended up back in the office.) Also, I'm really glad Ang rationalized all that because as soon as it ended I was wondering why Peter didn't just zoom off himself. I'm also assuming Nathan is dead, although I wouldn't be entirely suprised if he returned. It was nice to see everyone come together and have all the heroes working in concert for once. (Also, there was an audible sort of "BWHAT?!" from me when HRG revealed his name. Yes, with a 'b'. I'm just that coherent.)

Anyway, moving on. Can we talk for a moment about how bloody amazing Season 2 looks? I may have actually exclaimed (fine, I squee-ed) out loud when "Generations" came out. Now Hiro will get to use his super sword skills! I was hoping that Nikki and Micah wouldn't make the cut for Season 2 but that's a bit much to ask. I cannot wait to find out the backstory and am super excited for Hiro's time travelling adventures. That recall back to "Genesis" with the eclipse was great, too. Yay!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 25 Sep , 2007 2:05 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Hehe Sark is a samuri :LMAO:

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 25 Sep , 2007 2:11 am
Another bright red day

W00t! New season! And spoilers thereof.

First off . . . what the hell happened to Peter? How did he end up there? And why did Nathan grow that horrible beard? (Yes, I know he's drunk and depressed, but seriously.)

Molly is incredibly annoying but it's sort of cute that Parkman 'adopted' her. I love the Bennet/Suresh alliance. That's going to go good places, I think. I'm probably in the minority here, but I am already a fan of Claire's new friend. He's going to be all kinds of awesome if perhaps a bit creepy. I cannot wait to find out what's going on with Mrs. Petrelli and Hiro's dad. What does that symbol mean? Why are they going to die? What's the deal with Kensei? I hope that story line doesn't get too Back to the Future-ish.

So, Maya's power is killing people through their eyes or something? That's interesting. I like Alejandro, too. And I'm already really excited for next week.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Sep , 2007 12:23 am

I don't' have much to say except that I enjoyed the season opener.

I hope that Hiro's Dad makes it through his... little problem.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 10 »
Jump to: