The Last Homely Site on the Web

Robin Hood

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
TWT
Post subject: Robin Hood
Posted: Wed 31 Jan , 2007 6:51 am
Wembley bound

So has anybody been watching this? I'm referring to the rather new Robin Hood show on the BBC.

I rather like it so far. Jonas Armstrong as Robin is a little goofy at times but Keith Allen as the Sheriff of Nottingham is brilliant. Also Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisbon is spectacularily dark.

Opinions anyone?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 31 Jan , 2007 9:51 am
of Vinyamar

Michael Praed, Judi Trott and Ray Winstone forever!!!!

Sorry, I haven't had the heart to watch it. I saw the first five minutes of the first ep and just wasn't interested enough to keep watching. Maybe some day.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 31 Jan , 2007 5:11 pm
Wembley bound

Its not that bad really. In an age of 20 bloody crime shows on TV there are presious few 'family shows' and while family programming can sometimes be a little less interesting this show is still quite good. They killed off one of the main characters in episode 4 so at least they're not scared of changing things up and that I like.

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Feb , 2007 7:11 am

I followed it from ep 4. At first I was surprised because Robin Hood seemed to be too young, but I was hooked by Keith Allen. Some things were not logical and some of the fighting scenes were badly done. All in all it was an entertaining and more modern approach with several allusions to movies and songs.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
PrincessOfIthilien
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Feb , 2007 8:32 am

I was a huge Michael Praed fan. Now I'm a huge Ray Winstone fan.

I think the new Robin Hood left a lot to be desired in some aspects, particuarly the fight scenes where the Sheriff's men seemed to queue up to fight the outlaws.

But....and this is quite a big but....I think Jonas Armstrong has the potential to be one of the best Robin Hoods ever. I think he's just brilliant. I love his cocky, almost juvenile, attitude. He's arrogant, but he's naive too, and basically a good person with principles. His character has potential for a lot of development, and he certainly isn't one-dimensional. I love his sense of humour.

Lucy Griffiths makes Judi Trott seem almost boring!

Keith Allen I love - very panto like, but a lot of the series is very tongue in cheek. They do manage to combine comedy, drama, and pathos quite well.

The cast generally is very good I think - I wouldn't change anyone. I love Alan's sarcastic humour in particular. I do hope they find more for Little John to say other than "him/her I like" and "We go to Nottingham."

I hope the makers learn from the mistakes of the first series because it could be one of the best series the BBC has ever produced.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Feb , 2007 1:23 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

We watched the first episode and then excerpts here and there. It's dire IMO and only watchable in a "car-crash telly" sort of way.

Forgetting the costumes for a moment (Marion's yellow cardigan and Robin's cow-boy trousers spring most immediately to mind), it didn't even have a script worthy of the paper it was printed on.

Bring back "Maid Marion and Her Merry Men"; at least that was supposed to be funny.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Feb , 2007 2:59 pm
Wembley bound

Something else I think I forgot, the music is brilliant. I love the intro.

There's definately some pop culture in there. My favorite bit probably when the guy who was trying to kill the sherrif actually shot the decoy and says "I shot the sheriff!" Then the Sheriff comes up and says, "no, you shot the deputee." :D

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Feb , 2007 4:40 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Wot Leoba said.
I had high hopes for it but it was really lame. The one bright note was the actor who played Much, one of the Troughton dynasty I think. Keith Allen looked as if he was trying to do an Alan Rickman and ended up doing a Ricky Gervais instead. I think the definitive Robin Hood is still to be made but Disney made a surprisingly good stab at it in the 50's with Richard Todd.

And yay, yay, yay for Maid Marion and her merry men. An absolute joy from start to finish. We taped them and all our kids' friends love 'em still.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 2:14 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

The first episode is on for the first time right now here. Dunno if I like it or not, only seen 15 minutes so far!

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 2:23 am

I saw a bit of an ad for it while at work. Unfortunately, the TV is on the other side of the lobby and we can't hear it when behind the counter.

I wanted to hear it. :(

I don't have TV at home so I can't watch it. :(

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 2:39 am
Wembley bound

I rather like it. Robin Hood is a bit of a geek, but it's a great family show.

I work in court and the other day the condition for one man's bail was to have no contact with his daughter or his wife, Robyn Hood. :D

The justice of the peace looked up and wanted confirmation that 'Robyn Hood' was really her name. After that the man's own lawyer suggested that he shouldn't have contact with the Sheriff of Nottingham either. We all had a laugh.

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 2:42 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 12:11 pm
Tricksy Elf!

It was utter drivel, from the bits I saw. Almost shamefully so.

I do wish that producers would not try to remake stories to fit with modern time frame and culture, mainly because the producers are not in touch with said modern time frame and culture :LMAO: :LMAO:

Will go down in history as the worst interpritation of the tale, and will hopefully be quickly forgotten and lost in TV hell.

Tony Robinson did it better ;)

Hell, Mike Myers did it better :P

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
PrincessOfIthilien
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 2:30 pm

Dindraug wrote:

I do wish that producers would not try to remake stories to fit with modern time frame and culture, mainly because the producers are not in touch with said modern time frame and culture :LMAO: :LMAO:

Will go down in history as the worst interpritation of the tale, and will hopefully be quickly forgotten and lost in TV hell.

But apart from that, did you like it?

;)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Mar , 2007 5:11 pm
Tricksy Elf!

:suspicious:

Like is such a subjective word........

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 4:40 pm

Dindraug wrote:

Oh, we can discuss moderised versions of anything. I saw La Traviata set on tennis court. :Q

Sometimes it's better to forget history to be able to enjoy something. "Troy" is one example and the new Robin Hood series another. It grew on me and it was entertaining.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 6:19 pm
Daydream Believer

I watched it and am not really sure about it. I am trying to like it, but Robin is too young, he's 12 for petes sake, who goes on a crusade and comes back to rule his shire at 12? And the costumes are a bit too modern seems to me.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 6:22 pm
Daydream Believer

And can Jonas Armstrong act? I am asking because this series is the only thing I have seen him in and I was thinking if he could act, really act, he has a young Bilbo look about him. Anyway that is only if he can really act.

Profile Quote
PrincessOfIthilien
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 6:26 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
And can Jonas Armstrong act? I am asking because this series is the only thing I have seen him in and I was thinking if he could act, really act, he has a young Bilbo look about him. Anyway that is only if he can really act.
Jonas can act. I think he gets better and better in RH, especially in Eps. 8, 12 and 13.

I believe he was very good in the series The Ghost Squad, and I saw him in Teachers, where he certainly showed potential in a comparatively small role.

He's done theatre too.

I know CGI can do wonders, but he might be a tad tall for Bilbo? He looks more elvish to me.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Mar , 2007 6:35 pm
Daydream Believer

Well Gimli was the tallest actor...so.. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: