Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Pippin4242
Post subject: Death Note Spoilers Thread
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 10:29 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Yes? :D

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 10:34 am
of Vinyamar

Before I know whether to stay out or not, is this something I'm likely to be watching at some stage?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 10:47 am

Unless you've developed a sudden taste for thriller anime? :P

Actually, I highly recommend Death Note. Unlike Bleach (which I just love because I do) it's pretty classy. Your call, but the thread probably won't make much sense unless you've seen Death Note anyway. Sid just wanted a thread where she could talk freely without spoilering Dawn or anyone else who might join in. :)

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 11:39 am
Everything Is Numb

Quote:
Actually, I highly recommend Death Note. Unlike Bleach (which I just love because I do) it's pretty classy.
I agree with this Alatar...though I actually think Bleach has a lot going for it. I think Bleach is one of the more genuinely funny shows I have seen in awhile (not that the whole show is funny, but when it is, it really is). Plus my husband likes it and he generally hates anime. I don't think he would like Death Note (which has a much more serious tone). Yet since I know that you like anime Alatar, I do think you would like Death Note. I've only seen two episodes so far (though that is about to change ;) ) and what Pips says is true. It is very classy...the story, the music, the animation...all of it is very well done and quite beautiful.

OK minor spoilers for episodes one and two ahead (at least they are minor to me, but I could be wrong so avoid them Dawn...unless you have already seen the first two).

First of all, you were right Pips...the animation in this one is just lovely...extremely beautiful! I would love to see this one on my big screen (Is it out in America on DVD? I'll have to check, but I am betting on "no".) The music as well is very gorgeous...I love the choral music that plays during some of the scenes.

Second of all...HeeHee! I am so use to the Soul Reapers in Bleach that the design of them as monsters is quite startling at first in Death Note. Ruyuuku (I don't know how to spell it yet and I am not looking it up! LOL!) seems pretty cool so far though.

Light...what an awesome name (especially considering his character)! I have to admit though I do NOT like him so far. He is WAY to analytical and fanatical about this whole ridding the world of injustice thing. It is a noble idea, but I wonder about Light himself and whether he is the right person to carry out the job (if there is such a thing as a right person for this job). I didn't like the fact that he felt that he would have to kill his family if they ever found his Death Note book, and he killed the supposed L with nary a hesitation to protect his secret. So far I do not think he is a good person. My opinion of him may change though.

L...I've only just met him...but awesome, awesome awesome!! Wow that was SO cool how he figured out that "Kira" was in Japan and even narrowed it down to the district really quickly. Also that was cool how he found out that Light could instantly kill anyone, anywhere...yet he can't kill the real L for some reason. Well we know the reason (he has to be able to visualise the person he is killing), but L doesn't yet. So far I like L a whole hell a lot better than Light, but again that may change after seeing more.

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 4:18 pm

I do absolutely adore Bleach. I just have to try not to think of it as 'cultured' or whathaveyou. :P

If you think the design of the Shinigami is funny, you should see the shinigami of Full Moon wo Sagashite. XD The shinigami following Light is Ryuk.

Light has a point. But I was never able to agree with him, and I dislike him more now than I did to start with. >_<

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 7:12 pm
Everything Is Numb

I just watched up to episode 4 now and I am about to watch another one. And yup, I still don't like Light. He is quite the megalomaniac. He's a very interesting character though. I can't wait to see where this goes! :D

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 7:40 pm

Besides being an inhumane megalomaniac, he is also not very nice to women. :rage:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 8:56 pm
Everything Is Numb

Spoilers, but of course!

I just watched episode 7 and oh my God!! Could it get any more chill inducing??!! Everything was spot on...the music...the snow silently starting...Light is such an evil bastard! :D Very moving...thank you so much for recommending this! :D

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Apr , 2007 10:58 pm

Hmm... you'll have to remind me what episode correlates with what events. Are we talking Misora Naomi here? She's the only character I associate with snow, but that seems a little early. Of course, I've been watching week by week, so "only" twenty-six episodes is more than six months for me. :P

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! "Pippin4242! Trawling the murky seas of anime- so you don't have to!" :D

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 2:58 am
Everything Is Numb

Yup that was her...the dead FBI's fiance, right?

Well I have watched up to and through 20 so far. I'll be done tomorrow night. I have a lot of thoughts on the series, but I will save them until I have watched all of the remaining episodes. Right now all I have to say is, "Damn L is SO hard to draw!!" :bawl: My L looks like some kind of zombie-like homicidal maniac!

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 4:03 pm

Yotsuba sucks, doesn't it? I guess maybe if you're watching it all in one sitting Yotsuba doesn't look too bad. But when Matsuda is the most badass character for several episodes straight... well, then you KNOW something's wrong.

I loved Misora Naomi's story though. Raye was kind of a dick to her, wasn't he? I guess he thought it was in her best interests. When I saw her being all oppressed and little-womaned I had no idea she was going to go on to become a major character.

...It took me until only a few episodes ago to find out Rem was female. o_0

Two Death Note-related conversations (betwixt myself and cousin, GrinnyH).

Grinny: I'm back from Austria!
Pips: Welcome back from Austria! ...Have you watched this week's DN yet? I've been holding off for you and I can't take it any more!
Grinny: Er... I haven't been keeping up with it so much...
Pips: They skipped a bunch of weeks recently. What did you last watch?
Grinny: Where they were trying to save that guys life.
Pips: Er... who? Matsuda?
Grinny: Mat-suda, eh? That guy's a TIT.

Watching episode 25
Grinny: Oh NO! L's gone YAOI! I am the only man in the world watching this series!
Pips: Kiss! Kiss! KISS!

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 6:05 pm

JEBUS your avatar is hawt. :Q

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 6:07 pm
Everything Is Numb

I KNOW!!!! There are like no words!! :devil:

By the way I have seen 23 now...and when I am all done I will answer all of your thoughts and add some of my own! :D

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 6:11 pm

When you catch up, I'll tell you what L's real name is. It's not actually going to be mentioned in the series, as far as I know. It never was in the manga. :P

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 8:49 pm
Everything Is Numb

I just saw 25!!!

:bawl: X 1,000,000!!

I wonder if it would be too spoilerly to put "Rest in Peace" as my rank...

And that is all I have to say about that until I have the last one watched!! Then I am going to make a nice long post about the whole show so far.

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Apr , 2007 12:03 am

What about a nice little reference? Like 'Twenty silver pieces' or something? Apparently, that scene wasn't even in the manga. I thought it was the best bit.

In Death Note: The Last Name L was only faking his death.

ETA: A WORLD of sad, ne? Sorry to lead you into heartbreak. :sob:

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Apr , 2007 1:07 pm
Everything Is Numb

OK...I think it will be hard to sort all of my thoughts out about this show. I'm going to try though...huge spoilers to follow naturally. ;)

First off I want to talk about the animation. It is extremely well done! I like the more realisitic feel of this one. I didn't see any of the simplifications and symbols that a lot of manga and anime artists use...I have no problem with those and in fact I think they are funny and cute, but they don't fit the mood of DN so I am glad it was not done. Some animated scenes that stick out in my mind are when Light is about to kill Misora Naomi and the snow starts to sliently fall, when the one police officer (sorry I can't remember his name) leaves working on the Kira case with L and is shown sitting on a park bench bathed in golden light as his family sees him, and the snow again falling in front of the church in L's memories. All of those were very beautiful.

The character design again is top notch. I have always adored anime character design ever since first seeing Sailor Moon ages ago...it was one of the things that really attracted me to anime. DN takes it to a whole other level. Light is just so gorgeous it is hard not to just stare at him...and he always looks gorgeous. It's really quite breath-taking. Amane Misa (Is that how you spell it?) is absolutely beautiful as well. Not just because she is suppose to be a beautiful girl...but she is just so well designed and drawn. And L!! I don't understand how they did it!! You are right Pips he looks like a zombified chimp...and yet...he is so freakin' hot!! I don't get it at all! How can that be?! Because on one hand I can see how L isn't really attractive. Not only in the way he looks, but mannerisms are really off-putting to me...the way he sits and nibbles at his thumb. Yet Lord have mercy, but he is hot!! LOL! :D

OK, the music next...you were right the music for the actual show is really good. I like all of the musical cues...especially the church choral one and the one that plays during the previews...and there is another really beautiful one, but I can't remember it enough to describe it at this time. I like the first opening song and both ending songs, but I don't really like the present opening song. Really fast, hard and screaming metal isn't really my thing, though I like it more now than when I first heard it. I hated it when I first heard it and now I think it is pretty good...still not my thing though. And that chorus of "Human Sucker, Human Fucker" gets stuck in my mind and I really shouldn't be walking around singing it! LOL! Funnily enough though, I like a lot of the openings and closing songs to Bleach a lot better.

OK, I'm going to take a break and then write a post on my thought about the story and plot...the two biggies! :D

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Apr , 2007 1:43 pm

Response musings.

Well, I adore the animation too. It's not the be all and end all to me, but I think Death Note is an unusually (literally) dark anime, and agree that the character designs look fantastic. Hair on the younger characters is particularly well rendered, and though the older characters are often less visually complex (with the exception of Yagami-san) the more mature lines of their features are one trait I love in seinen (men's) anime.

I love the philosophical struggle that lies at the heart of the plot. Philosophy is never sidelined or pasted on. Or even specifically mentioned, as a matter of fact. But it's clear that Light and L represent two differing philosophical schools, and as an A-level Philosophy and Ethics student it fascinates me. (Thanks to L I can FINALLY remember details of Utilitarian theory). I don't know how much or little you may have studied of these themes, or what Light would classify himself as. Whatever his philosophy is, I don't really want to get into it.

Which brings me to the next point. Sympathy for Light. I strongly disagree with the poster at Anime Suki forums who said that Light was too transparent (haha). I honestly think he's got a good point, and hey, if I'd been brought up in a country with the death penalty I think I'd sympathise further. In England it's looked upon as rather barbaric (and I don't doubt many Americans could agree). He is doing it for (what he sees as) the best, and who better to create the new world than a genius?

And as for Zetsubou Billy(?) and What's Up People?; well, I've never seen an anime brash enough for a screamo theme tune in my life! I love it! :D

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Apr , 2007 2:54 am
Everything Is Numb

LOL! I REALLY need to post my full thoughts about this show! And I will, I promise! I do have a lot to say about it.

Right now I just saw 28, have you Pips? If you have, is N lying to Light when he says no one knows what Mello looks like? I ask because doesn't N know? Weren't they at that same orphanage toghether? I'm assuming he is lying for some reason...what do you think, Pips?

~Sid

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Apr , 2007 8:00 am

Yeah! What the hell? You only just made me wonder about that!
Though I watched the kuro-hana translation, and I think I recall that line as "no pictures of him exist" or something, which is subtlety different, especially if N has access to the original L's information, which seems likely. I wonder what remains of L's theories? W deleted all the electronic information kept on the team database, but what if he had other ways or means?
Winchester. XD I now HAVE to go to Winchester. Leave some sugar cubes outside any large Victorian building.

*~Pips~*

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: