The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama day Jan 20.

Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
halplm
Post subject: Re: Obama day Jan 20.
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 8:16 pm
b77 whipping boy

actually, that doesn't sound like one of the options you have...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 8:20 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Well you are incorrect about that, but that doesn't matter because I am sure you guys will end this now anyway.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 8:22 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
President Barack Obama's first public act in office Wednesday was to institute new limits on lobbyists in his White House and to freeze the salaries of high-paid aides, in a nod to the country's economic turmoil.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090121/ap_ ... cutive_pay" target="_blank" target="_blank

Here's something you didn't hear about:

Aides making above $100,00 include the high-profile jobs of White House chief of staff, national security adviser and press secretary. Other aides who work in relative anonymity also fit into that cap, if Obama follows a structure similar to the one George W. Bush set up.

Just food for thought.

freddy

Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 9:13 pm
bioalchemist

I have excised the bickering (I think). We have a place for people who want to chew each other to death with words. It's called the Bike Racks.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 9:28 pm

River
thats cool with me

but why move it there and then LOCK the BR thread? Kinda defeats the purpose does it not?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 9:38 pm
bioalchemist

IF you and hal want to rip each other apart you can start a thread. Though the rest of the board would prefer it you two acted your ages.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 9:54 pm
Daydream Believer

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama invited the U.S. ambassador in Iraq to sit in on a war council session Wednesday that the Pentagon calls a first step toward ending the nearly six-year-old conflict.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama_wars" target="_blank

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 9:56 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

He really is getting right down to work, isn't he. Very cool.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 10:02 pm
Daydream Believer

Estel wrote:
He really is getting right down to work, isn't he. Very cool.
Yes he certainly is. :)

Gitmo, salary freeze, war talks with generals and Iraqi reps. All after being meeting with GWB in the White House, being sworn in, parade duty, ten galas, and not getting in until 2:30 am. I know this is what happens with most Presidents, but if it was me, after yesterdays huge goings on I would be :tired:

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 10:06 pm

The very idea of a President who believes in government and wants to use government to get things done on behalf of the American people is a wonderful concept to see return to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 11:15 pm
b77 whipping boy

sauronsfinger wrote:
The very idea of a President who believes in government and wants to use government to get things done on behalf of the American people is a wonderful concept to see return to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
What exactly do you think President Bush was doing?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 11:21 pm
bioalchemist

Well, no one's really sure. It kind of got lost in a crumbling noise.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 11:30 pm
b77 whipping boy

I'm just wondering how Bush didn't believe in government, or the government working for the american people... That's pretty much the definition of a big government President... which is what Bush was.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 11:57 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

The Titanic was a large ship. A good captain would have steered it to New York. A poor captain steered it into an iceberg. It's not the size of the government; it's how it's directed that spells success or failure.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 11:58 pm
Daydream Believer

I have to agree, Bush didn't like the government working for the people. He prefered it worked for big oil and loose banking. :cheers:

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 12:05 am

halplm wrote:
I'm just wondering how Bush didn't believe in government, or the government working for the american people... That's pretty much the definition of a big government President... which is what Bush was.
Bush sure does believe in government. It's hard to find someone who believes in it more than Bush does. Obama doesn't believe in it as much as Bush does. Obama made a remark in his speech yesterday about shutting down government programs that don't work, which is something Bush would never do. "Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end."

The problem is Bush didn't believe in it in all the right areas, so he is mistaken for someone who didn't believe in it. It is similar to the inability I've seen in talk.origins of a poster there who cannot tell the difference between a heretic and an atheist.

The other problem is Bush simply wasn't very competent in implementing the big government he believed in.

There's no such thing as a small government neoconservative. I wonder where the myth came from that he somehow isn't big government. It's certainly not from anything Bush ever said or did.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 12:08 am
b77 whipping boy

Ara-anna wrote:
I have to agree, Bush didn't like the government working for the people. He prefered it worked for big oil and loose banking. :cheers:
Yeah, and for students, and people on welfare, and people with AIDS in africa, not to mention here...

But I guess that's not people...

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 12:43 am

I do not know who the hell anyone is arguing about with this big versus small government and George Bush garbage. Cause it aint me babe. Here is what I said
Quote:
You wanna get in the ring with me. Fine. Just make sure its what I said and not something you want me to say and then pervert it , twist it and reshape it to fit your own talking points.

Bush did not believe in using the power of government for the behalf of the people. Few Republicans do. He grew government in all the wrong ways - big time war - tax cuts for the rich which increased the deficit and debt- ways that hurt the people instead of helping them.

Ara-anna is 100% right on the money when she said
Quote:
Bush didn't like the government working for the people. He prefered it worked for big oil and loose banking.
That is an excellent observation. And it fits right into mine.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 12:51 am
b77 whipping boy

halplm wrote:
Ara-anna wrote:
Yeah, and for students, and people on welfare, and people with AIDS in africa, not to mention here...

But I guess that's not people...

Oh, and also the people that haven't been attacked by terrorists in the past 7 years, guess those weren't people either.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 12:54 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I know Spain and England were attacked in the last 7 years, because of involvement in a war that Bush started.
I know many Iraqis have lived in terror (as they're being terrorised by both US troops and Iraqi militants) because of a war Bush started.
Bush supported Israel in its terrorisation of Gaza, didn't he?

Oh, you mean Americans who weren't terrorized. Because it's only terrorism if it happens to you, right?

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: