board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Where is the Outrage??

Post Reply   Page 3 of 16  [ 313 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
yovargas
Post subject: Re: Where is the Outrage??
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 3:31 am

TW - in the history of such things, it is my understanding that banks were very careful who they gave home loans too because of the high risk involved. Risky loans were not profitable to banks so they didn't make them. Why, do you believe, did banks suddenly started ignoring that common sense rule and start giving out mortgages to nearly anyone? Why did such heavy and risky loaning become profitable when it never had been before? If we're going to start throwing blame around, first you have to understand why that happened. I see lots of people - left and right - very willing to blame the other side without examining that fundamental question. I don't know myself - I suspect very few people do - and therefore I am unwilling to start pointing fingers. I recommend that everyone who doesn't know either do the same. And if you do know, please explain it to the rest of us.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 3:50 am
Same as it ever was

yov -

First mortgages under Bush were allowed to be reviewed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as guarantors, just as they had been for decades, but in the past decade, owing to a desire to keep a robust economy stimulated, it ws thought that home ownership was a desirable outcome, and oversights were let lax.

Not ALL banks fell into this loophole, but those that were heavily engaged in buying and selling mortgages found this a profitable business.

Simply stated, most people who get a mortgage do NOT remain with their bank of origin. These things are traded like commodities, packaged and repackaged and sold as investments.

So, to answer your question, they were not giving OUT the loans themselves, they were taking advantage of marking up reselling them and turning them over. Any credible banker could have seen that yearly increased home values of 10% or more a year were not credible, but, when the profits are there for you to sell and sell and turn things over, what do you think happens?

Sorry if I did not go into so much detail, it is a complicated business, and full of people who were all too ready to try and profit by it.

Put it bluntly, your bank is out to make money, whether frugally or not, that IS its business. Some people swear by credit unions or savings and loans for that very reason.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 4:33 am
Best friends forever

Freddy, the American economy was in tough shape when Reagan took over, but the mess this time is all over the whole entire planet. This is much, much, much more serious. Certainly it is not all the fault of the US, but unfortunately it was the US subprime crisis that triggered it. It is ironic in the extreme that because it WAS the USA, the home of "capitalism" and "smart businessmen" that people all over the world were sucked into the maelstrom.

Neither party is blameless, but The Watcher is right.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 1:22 pm
You are hearing me talk

This is about much more than bad mortgages. It's about bad money and bad expectations.

yov, you ask why anyone would make a subprime loan when it's obviously a bad risk; much of the answer is that the individual making the profit and the individual taking the risk were two different people. You make a bad loan, bundle it up with a bunch of other loans of varying quality, then sell the whole thing as an "investment instrument" without disclosing how risky the whole thing is. Maybe the buyer understands what's he's getting into, in which case the whole thing becomes a game of hot potato, or maybe he doesn't, in which case it turns into a game of pin the bankruptcy on the sucker. As time goes by and nothing bad happens, people start to think they might have been worried about nothing and get more and more daring. Then the first domino falls.

So many of the problems humans create for themselves come down to a separation of actions from their consequences...

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 4:18 pm
Daydream Believer

I don't think it was Wall Street at it stupidest. I think it's pure greed and glutony on the part of a very few heads of banks.

TW
Quote:
Put it bluntly, your bank is out to make money, whether frugally or not, that IS its business. Some people swear by credit unions or savings and loans for that very reason.

Don't the CU and S&L's have tougher regulations and were not deregulated because of they tried to do the same thing in the 80's as the banks are doing now? That is my understanding of things.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
ellienor
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 5:03 pm

I remember buying my first house in 1992. I had 10% down and they did everything but X ray me. I mean, I had to write a note about where I was and what I was doing when there was a THREE WEEK stint between apartments a year previous. (I was changing jobs and vacated one apartment, put my stuff in storage, and went on a road trip around the Southwest). Tax records, letters from apartment managers, that sort of thing.

This was during they Clinton years, by the way.

My understanding that most of the subprime damage (80%) was for loans that weren't sold to Fannie and Freddie. So blaming the government doesn't make sense. The disconnect between the originators of the mortgages and the buyers of the mortgages seems to have really gotten going in the early 2000's time frame. By 2006 my original home investment had turned into an investment property. My tenant bought it in 2006 with no money down. He was a chronic-late payer as a tenant and didn't even have a checking account (my husband and I speculated he had tax trouble and the gov't was garnishing accounts, so he didn't have any). But my understanding is that he got a first loan, a "piggyback" loan, and nobody checked anything. Heck, nobody ever asked me if he was paying his rent on time!

Well, guess who got foreclosed on? That tenant should never have been given a home loan.

That is the difference between the 90s and 2000s, in a nutshell, IMHO.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 5:16 pm

I disagree with the order in which the culprits are named, but I agree that all the culprits on that list belong on that list.
hamlet over on TORC wrote:
Interesting article from Factcheck.org that I think might have been missed here.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008 ... risis.html

Of great interest is this bit:
Quote:
The Real Deal

So who is to blame? There's plenty of blame to go around, and it doesn't fasten only on one party or even mainly on what Washington did or didn't do. As The Economist magazine noted recently, the problem is one of "layered irresponsibility ... with hard-working homeowners and billionaire villains each playing a role." Here's a partial list of those alleged to be at fault:

The Federal Reserve, which slashed interest rates after the dot-com bubble burst, making credit cheap.

Home buyers, who took advantage of easy credit to bid up the prices of homes excessively.

Congress, which continues to support a mortgage tax deduction that gives consumers a tax incentive to buy more expensive houses.

Real estate agents, most of whom work for the sellers rather than the buyers and who earned higher commissions from selling more expensive homes.

The Clinton administration, which pushed for less stringent credit and downpayment requirements for working- and middle-class families.

Mortgage brokers, who offered less-credit-worthy home buyers subprime, adjustable rate loans with low initial payments, but exploding interest rates.

Former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, who in 2004, near the peak of the housing bubble, encouraged Americans to take out adjustable rate mortgages.

Wall Street firms, who paid too little attention to the quality of the risky loans that they bundled into Mortgage Backed Securities (MBS), and issued bonds using those securities as collateral.

The Bush administration, which failed to provide needed government oversight of the increasingly dicey mortgage-backed securities market.

An obscure accounting rule called mark-to-market, which can have the paradoxical result of making assets be worth less on paper than they are in reality during times of panic.

Collective delusion, or a belief on the part of all parties that home prices would keep rising forever, no matter how high or how fast they had already gone up.

The U.S. economy is enormously complicated. Screwing it up takes a great deal of cooperation. Claiming that a single piece of legislation was responsible for (or could have averted) the crisis is just political grandstanding. We have no advice to offer on how best to solve the financial crisis. But these sorts of partisan caricatures can only make the task more difficult.
Hamlet said this makes a great inkblot test because everyone will agree to certain portions of this list while not wanting to see other portions of this list.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 8:04 pm
Best friends forever

It's pretty much all true but there are institutions and people who aren't on the list and should be. Reagan being the main one.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 11:21 pm

Dave_LF wrote:
yov, you ask why anyone would make a subprime loan when it's obviously a bad risk; much of the answer is that the individual making the profit and the individual taking the risk were two different people. You make a bad loan, bundle it up with a bunch of other loans of varying quality, then sell the whole thing as an "investment instrument" without disclosing how risky the whole thing is. Maybe the buyer understands what's he's getting into, in which case the whole thing becomes a game of hot potato, or maybe he doesn't, in which case it turns into a game of pin the bankruptcy on the sucker. As time goes by and nothing bad happens, people start to think they might have been worried about nothing and get more and more daring. Then the first domino falls.
This is part of the answer but it's an answer a few links down the chain. What changed to cause this to be attractive recently when it hadn't been before? Was this "separation of actions from their consequences" something that only started recently? If so, how and why?

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 11:27 pm
Best friends forever

Mortgages used to be held by the origianal lender. That's where the change began.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 11:34 pm

Why did it become more profitable to sell them than to hold them?

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Sat 07 Feb , 2009 2:26 am
Same as it ever was

yovargas wrote:
Yovi, I can tell you never had a mortgage loan.

Elianor is correct, back even a decade or so ago, one went through a microscope over getting aprovval for a mortgage loan. I had to pay off a debt from my first husband that was not even mine, and clearly stated that on our divorce papers, to get mine approved.

Then, banks got greedy, what can I say? I should not even call them banks per se, they were "mortgage lenders." I have no idea what federal or state requirements these places had to answer to. But , after the "dot.com" bust of the late nineties, all of a sudden people were looking for the next "hot market" and it became real estate.

RE on average used to return an overall safe return of around 5%, that did not count mortgage backed securities, which are tied into prevailing standard thirty year fixed interest rate loans.

So, there were two ways to invest in real estate, either buy mortgage backed securities, or invest directly in the speculation that RE prices would go up based on what you paid into it.

Everything went wonko on both fronts about a decade ago, and nobody did anything to reel it in.

Speculation and overinflated prices started cropping up first on the coasts and in Florida and the SW. Then, with the lax oversight on lending practices, lenders started giving out loans to just about anyone, good credit or bad, based on this assumption that the rising value of the property itself could secure the loan, i.e., if one needed to sell, they could do so at a huge profit. These lenders then sold these bundled up high interest only loan packages to greedy investors, who thought they also would make a sure buck.

Do I need to go on further?

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Posted: Sun 08 Feb , 2009 2:11 pm
Waiting for winter

yovargas wrote:
My understanding, and someone correct me if I am wrong, is that banks need money in order to lend money. By selling off the loans the bank got their money back faster which meant they could turn it around and lend it to someone else. They made money off of originating the loans by charging origination fees, usually 1% of the amount of the loan, so the larger the loan the larger the origination fee. By selling the loan off the banks rid themselves of the risk of the borrower defaulting, so there was no reason for them not to loan ridiculous amounts of money to people who could never pay it back. All they cared about was making the loans so they could collect the fees.

That’s the why part of your question - it became more profitable because the banks could make more loans, and larger loans, and collect more fees. The other question that has to be asked is when - when did the practice of making risky loans, that were doomed to failure, start? It’s a pertinent question because the practice of selling mortgages started long before the practice of making reckless loans started. I took out my first mortgage back in 1985, and it was sold at least once before I refinanced in 1992. When I refinanced I had to go through the same process that Ellie did - everything I had ever done was examined under a microscope. I had to give written explanations for every late payment I had ever made in my life, even ones that were just one or two days late. When I bought my new home last year the bank didn’t ask any questions at all. They looked at my salary and credit rating and that was it.

Somewhere something changed that made the banks feel it was alright to make risky loans. I don’t dispute anything on CG’s list of factors, but I have to believe it was the lack of government oversight that finally made it inevitable that things would go the way they have.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 08 Feb , 2009 2:26 pm

That makes sense for the sellers but only if buyers are willing to buy a big bundle of risky mortgages. But what why would there suddenly be a market to buy something like that?

Profile Quote
tinwe
Posted: Sun 08 Feb , 2009 2:45 pm
Waiting for winter

The only reason I can think of is that they didn’t know what they were doing. Or else they were just blinded by greed. As I said, the practice of selling loans didn’t start with risky loans. The mortgages that I took out in the 80's and 90's were not risky at all, but they were sold nonetheless. So the practice of buying loans, and I assume bundling loans too, pre-dated the practice of handing out bad loans like they were candy. Perhaps the buyers were just lulled into complacency. I’m pretty sure that shear and utter stupidity bred from unbridled greed was the more likely culprit though.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 08 Feb , 2009 3:11 pm

Part of the reason I'm not entirely sold on the "it was greed" and "we needed regulation" is that this is, on a simplistic level, something that shouldn't have to do with either - you don't sell things to people who can't afford your products. That's something that is really blindingly obvious in a normal business' self-interest to follow! Why would any business need somebody (the gov.) to step in and say "don't do that!"?? The only reason I can think of why a business would sell things it's buyers can't pay for is if there was some outside force - perhaps the government? - that was encouraging them to do it. I wanna know, who or what was that force??

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Mon 09 Feb , 2009 2:44 am
Not so deep as a well

It's very simple. As long as real estate values continued to expand with the bubble, there weren't any problems, because no one was upside down. No one was defaulting. Moreover, the faster a loan got processed, the faster the original lender could sell it off and make money up front from it. The people doing the selling were, at the time, profiting without having to care about what happened after the mortgage went through their hands. That's a very dangerous circumstance, not just because it encouraged them to give mortgages to people who shouldn't have them, but particularly because it encouraged them to give subprimes to anyone who might take work to get a normal mortgage to. I saw one estimate in Harper's that 2/3 of the subprime mortgagees out there could have qualifies for a normal mortgage, if someone had been willing to take the time to clear them for it--but that time could be spent selling subprimes. If you have to report to stockholders every quarter, which are you going to do?

Go reread Charles Mackay. People in bubbles do things that in any other time appear inexplicably, monumentally stupid.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Mon 09 Feb , 2009 7:56 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

This sums it up. In comic form, but it explains the whole think very accurately. Start three minutes in.

A year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJmTCYmo9g" target="_blank" target="_blank

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 09 Feb , 2009 1:19 pm
You are hearing me talk

yovargas wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
This is part of the answer but it's an answer a few links down the chain. What changed to cause this to be attractive recently when it hadn't been before? Was this "separation of actions from their consequences" something that only started recently? If so, how and why?
Part of it is that it didn't used to be so easy to disguise risk. Banks selling junk mortgages pressured rating agencies to overvalue the instruments, and since they were the ones paying the fees, the agencies complied. This is and was illegal even under Bush, but no one bothered to enforce the law. Will Rogers is famous for saying "I don't belong to an organized political party; I'm a Democrat". But he also said that the motto of any Republican president is "boys, my back is turned".

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Mon 09 Feb , 2009 3:17 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
Banks selling junk mortgages pressured rating agencies to overvalue the instruments, and since they were the ones paying the fees, the agencies complied.
It's usually a bad idea, honesty-wise, to have the people evaluating your performance dependent on you for their paychecks.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 16  [ 313 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
Jump to: