Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Axordil
Post subject: Constantine
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2005 5:33 pm
Not so deep as a well

aka American Hellblazer. :D

Am I alone in wanting to see it?

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2005 5:47 pm
That Weird American

I think it might be worth a watch...maybe when it comes out on DVD.

It'll be interesting to see how bad a job whats-his-face does, again...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2005 8:58 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

No, I think it looks like it could be good. I often enjoy movies dealing with that subject. I liked The Devil's Advocate and Stigmata which seem to be in the same genre.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Feb , 2005 2:27 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

It's going to be interesting watching this and not comparing it to The Matrix.

But I'll give it a shot.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: Constantine
Posted: Sat 19 Feb , 2005 3:47 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Axordil wrote:
Am I alone in wanting to see it?
Heck, no.

I'll be there.

But this time Keanu's shitty acting is apparent even in the trailer, which is new to me. :Q

Not that I'll be seeing it for his acting skills.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Feb , 2005 9:50 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

i've seen the previews on the tv but can i ask anyone to tell me what the movie's about? kinda got me curious. :) is it really like the devil's advocate and stigmata? i thought it had something to do with campires hearing the title Constantine. was a bit put off by it :P After Blade i've seen enough vamp hunter films

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Feb , 2005 10:03 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I think you may have inadvertently coined a new phrase, Jae. "Campire" - the creatures featured in campy vampire movies.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 9:52 am
I can't count but I'm cute

:LMAO: can't spell, shouldn't try :P

ok ok so Vampires :p there corrected my mistake. :roll: ;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 1:09 pm
Tricksy Elf!

So, do I have this right. An Imperial Roman (half Brit ;) ) general, marches on Rome to kill all the Vampires, converts to a mystery cult and imposes this onto said vampires before sending his mum on a package tour of the middle east. :Q

Or, not a sand and sandles epic then......

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:13 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Basically Constantine is an exorcist how tries to stop the Devil's son being born on Earth.

A few good moments, a few nice touches, but the script and imagination just ran out of control towards the end. I need a framework to enjoy the movie completely.

What pissed me off though was the very last frame. Total betrayal of the character and of the whole tone of the movie. Too PC for me. I won't tell you what it is though, and maybe I'm biased, but you'll know what I mean when you see it.

I hope there is an alternative ending for the DVD if we ever buy it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:33 pm

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
What pissed me off though was the very last frame... I won't tell you what it is though... you'll know what I mean when you see it.
I hate to admit being so easily swayed, but those are the three phrases in a review/critique that are like magnets for me. :oops: I GOTTA SEE IT A.S.A.P.!!!!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 5:37 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I agree with Steve completely about the last frame, however, I really enjoyed the movie.

I'm the type that just sits back determined to have a good time when I see a movie though. Constantine had a few good laughs - one part in particular was just awesome (you'll know it when you see it). I loved the character precisely because there was no character developement (least not until that shit scene at the end). The movie was just good fun - expect more than that, and you won't enjoy yourself.

Do I recommend seeing it in theatres?

Yes.

Do I recommend buying it?

Hells yes - nothing like a movie like this to make fun of during a m00t and know you're not ruining it for anyone.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 6:14 pm
That Weird American

Sounds like good recommendations to me. I don't think I'll see it in the theatre though...I'd rather save my 5.50 for dinner...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Feb , 2005 3:55 pm

Just saw this last night. It was entertaining enough to not get a thumbs down from me (particularly because I got free tickets) but:

- the acting was worse then I thought it would be. And not just from Keanu but from the chic lead too
- the dialogue was even worse which may account for why the acting felt so bad
- the plot was too convoluted and involved for what was really a pretty straight forward premise (eg. the big finale stuff confused me more then it needed to)
- it was too damn slow! Not that much really happens in the film and yet it's 2 hours long, feeling more like 2 and a half. They should've editted out a good 20 minutes at least.
- I was disappointed with the fx, a major drawing point for a movie like this, imo. Hell itself looked pretty sweet but most of the creatures looked too CGish
- The tone of the movie was all over the place. The cute little jokes, quirky characters, and awfully forced pseudo-romance angle felt waaaaay out of place in a movie about Satan, demons, possesion, bloodwratch, etc. The opening exorcism scene was quite intense in a freakish-holy-shit-what-the-fuck-was-that sort of a way. It's hard to pull off "funny and quirky" after that.

Despite all that, I still give it a very slight thumbs up. The plot was interesting, the misterous/frightening parts were genuinely misterous/frightening, and I guess I'm generally fond of these hell vs heaven apocalypse movies (eg. there take on Lucifer was pretty memorable).

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 6:30 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

Yea.. I dunno.. I liked it.. I wouldnt call it some great cinematic masterpiece or something.. but it was a good way to kill two hours worth of time anyways. I did enjoy seeing a different take on heaven vs hell and so forth. Made it interesting to try to work out or think about.

and yea. I'm a sucker for these types of movies too. :P

oh and Guru.. just where the hell can you manage to see a movie for $5.50 :Q :Q

or get dinner for that matter :scratch

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 4:21 am

gimli_axe_wielder wrote:
oh and Guru.. just where the hell can you manage to see a movie for $5.50 :Q :Q

or get dinner for that matter :scratch
Cheap night and drive-through. :mrgreen:

I saw MILLION DOLLAR BABY for $5.50 in a theatre up north because Tuesdays are cheap nights. I doubt you can pay that sort of money on new releases, though.

Anyone who's seen CONSTANTINE and THE PROPHECY, can they tell me how the two compare? I know that Hell is featured in Constantine, but other than a few CGI demons in the trailer, I have no idea how it figures into the plot. I liked how angels and the battle between heaven and hell were portrayed in The Prophecy. Just wondering. :)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 4:40 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

Dont know the prophecy..

I do know that i live in teh wrong damn state! *grumbls about the $9.50 he paid to see Constantine.. and the other $9.50 he paid for a popcorn and drink...

:rage:

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 5:06 am

Gims, do you ever try attending the matinees?

I'm one of those losers who goes to the theatre alone, sits front row center a half hour before the movie starts, and avoids the showings with bigger crowds. When I turned 16, my aunts and uncles offered to drive me back to Toronto with them for a few weeks, so I was on my own but accompanied by family when I needed to get anywhere. My cousin told me that movies cost about $14 in the big city, and I was used to half that. :P I wanted to spend a whole day at the multiplex (had never been to one before) and so my day started at noon, where I paid about $7 for each ticket. By the third show, it was evening and the ticket cost me $14.50, so I figured out that yes, my cousin would be paying the big bucks because he is a normal human being who goes to the night shows with his friends. :P

Anyhoo, I'm used to finding the cheaper screenings with less distracting crowds. ;)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
philociraptor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 11:04 am
Mr Phlibbles

Saw this one the other day courtesy of one of my download minions. Thought was pretty fun entertaining, leave your brain at the door. I understand those familiar with the source material are somewhat livid, maybe why i enjoyed it (..... strange though I enjoyed a lot of the content within lotr movies and enjoyed the books, but I can see both as seperate entities ).
Thought this was a fun silly fantasy movie, a few cool visuals lots of cliches and rip offs. Keanu is about as good as can be expected, to say that I tolerate his presence as an actor on screen would be a way of putting it. Nice anti smoking film too methinks :devil:

"if wishes were fisheses the world would be an ocean"

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 5:47 pm

Bah. My mom lured me into a cabin for the weekend under false pretenses - she never let me go to the movies after all! :bawl:

Will watch CONSTANTINE on video, I guess. :roll:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: