board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Sin City

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Lidless
Post subject: Sin City
Posted: Sat 19 Feb , 2005 2:29 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

This film noir looks delicious.

Stylish and a great cast to boot.

The hot babes are totally irrelevant.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

[ img ]

Profile Quote
philociraptor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Feb , 2005 2:06 am
Mr Phlibbles

Perhaps the trailer is just extremely well cut together it might be a load of bobbins but the style looks fantastic, dead on with the source material. Looking forward to this one too.

"if wishes were fisheses the world would be an ocean"

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 5:54 pm
That Weird American

Damn!!!

That has some potential for being a good movie...at least it's a cast worth seeing.

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Feb , 2005 5:24 pm
Gloriosus

Another Comic turned into Movie (Frank Miller was the author/artist, wasn't he?) - I have to wait a few days when the flick comes out.

– – –

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 9:18 pm
The Red Fox

Darn well I hope it is better than the game, never loaded on my hardware that one...

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 6:52 pm
That Weird American

So, who's going to go see this? I'm thinking it might be a bit odd...what with three stories being wound into one. However, the more I see the better it looks...

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 7:45 pm
Marshmallow Toaster

I'll definitely be seeing this. This looks to be an exceptionally faithful adaptation of a very good graphic novel. Of course, faithful doesn't necessarily equate to good, and there's a chance it might not translate well to the big screen. But overall I'm quite hopeful. :)

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 10:08 pm
Insolent Pup

Frank Miller is the artist and originator of the comic.

I am most definitely seeing this film. I love the camera style.

One little tidbit about the film: before it was even slated for production Robert Rodriguez (Spy Kids, Desperado) made a 10 minute short from the Sin City comics without Miller's permission to show to him. He did and obviously Miller liked it.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 12:46 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

Definatly want to see it. I saw the preview again yesterday on the big screen this time at the cinema.. looks awesome. though I admit i have no idea about the graphic novel.....

l

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 6:09 am
His Rosyness

Have no idea what it's about, but the trailers look very interesting.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2005 11:32 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I think I'm one of the very few people who are turned off by the it's visuals. :oops: Can't say that style looks at all appealing to me.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 12:29 am
Living in hope

I think the ads are visually just gorgeous. However, I doubt I'll be seeing it--from what I've heard it's past my limit for violence. :(

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:41 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Eru: The main reason I like the style is because it's JUST like the comic! Every still shot from the movie looks like it could be a frame from the comic, which is pretty exciting for a fan.

Prim: Yes, it has some pretty violent stuff in it, and I'm hoping I can handle it. I found the comic pretty disturbing in parts, so it might be a little too much for me in live action.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 5:15 pm

I'm ridiculously excited for this movie. I've read two of the books--never could get too into that comic (though I do have Deathrow!Marv on my filing cabinet). It just looks wonderful. There was a review from someone who saw it on Ain't it Cool News. The guy said he was trying to not go overboard but was very positive.:)

On a specific LOTR note, he praised the whole cast and said he would say "the least" about Elijah Wood so that everyone would be surprised. All he would say was that after this role "Frodo Baggins was dead." (Meaning if there was ever any danger of EW being typecast he just saved himself because he's so disturbing as Kevin.

-m

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 27 Mar , 2005 10:50 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Fabulous trailer, fab visuals, fab music.

Like Prim though I really, REALLY don't like violence.

I might just check this one out though, if I am feeling strong.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2005 2:14 am

Gotta admit that the trailer look great --- BUT so did SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW -- and that film was virtually unwatchable if you were older than 13 and had an IQ in the triple digits.

In the end, a cool look will only take you so far. There has to be good storytelling and actual characters with substance and heart to make the film work. Something the "all flash and trash" George Lucas knows little about - but that is a discussion for another thread.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 1:22 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well i am still looking forward to the movie. I am aquanted with someone who has been freinds with thewriter and illustratotor of the book and I hold him in high regard (they have been freinds since Sin City was an idea and and rough drafts). I think it will engage people with IQs in the triple digits since the person I am aquainted with is a very smart man. :)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 3:42 pm
of Vinyamar

There's a lot of new info here: http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue414/news.html

Some snippets:
Quote:
Robert Rodriguez wanted the film images to be as evocative of Miller's drawings as possible. "They're amazingly close," Miller said in an interview. "I mean, we actually had a camera setup that would feature my drawings, and then we'd superimpose the filmic image on top of it, and we'd adjust the shot to match the composition. It's as faithful as anything can ever be."

Miller said that he never intended to make a film version of his dark series, about a crime-ridden city and its unlikely heroes. But Rodriguez's persistence and dedication eventually won him over. "Robert pursued me about it," he said. "He really wanted to make this movie. And he convinced me that technically it was possible, but then he had to convince me that creatively it could be done, because I was still convinced that people would try to slap happy endings on my stories and soften them and focus-group test them and all that nonsense. And it took him quite a while to convince me. I was a tough customer."
Quote:
Rodriguez said that the violence is stylized in the manner of his earlier films, including Desperado. "I never got any flak for Desperado. ... At a time when people would criticize guys like Quentin [Tarantino] for violence in films for cutting an ear off, off camera, I was mowing down people in my movies and no one ever said anything because of the tone," he said. "And I think that's the same thing for this, that as violent as it is, like in the comic, it felt tempered by the stylization. And that's why we didn't have any trouble with the MPAA [which gave the movie an R rating] or anything, because it was so stylized that they just went, 'This is all right. ... You don't have to cut a frame of it.'"

But Rodriguez agreed that Sin City isn't for children. "Young people shouldn't see it," he said. "It's a rated R movie. ... I'm not making it for that [family] audience. ... I made this an R. I didn't try and trick people into making it a PG-13. ... If parents let their kids in, that's their decision. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to change how we're going to make the movie. Frank made his thing in a vacuum, ... and I wanted to do the exact same thing for cinema and suffer the consequences. If people don't go see it because it's R, that's fine. It's not appealing to the mass audience. It's really just about making the movie we want to make and telling the story that we want to do. "

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2005 6:43 pm
That Weird American

I've seen a review of it in the New York Times....apparantly, in technical terms, it is one of the most gruesome movies out there...massive, massive amounts of blood, a very wide array of ways it comes out, from cannibilism, to castration, to almost anything you can come up with...and in three different colors.

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Apr , 2005 4:15 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Dammit! :x Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars!! :rage:

That pretty much means I'm going to hate it. ;)

*holds out for a good Peter Travers review*

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: