The Last Homely Site on the Web

Sin City

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 12:08 pm
Insolent Pup

I doubt it, Winged. I saw it tonight and I was blown away. It went above and beyond my expectations of a film. It had story, it had heart and it had gore. Three wonderful qualities of a good movie. My friend who's read the comics has assured me the movie has stayed pretty damn close to the comic, and I noticed that with some of the dialogue. I implore others to see this movie as soon as they can. I will say no more about it at this time.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Apr , 2005 7:43 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well anyone know of the SPACE channel? They did a special about the making of for SinCity and they interviewed quite a few people including quite a bit with Frank Miller. At least one of the people who work at SPACE is friends with Mr.Miller so you know it will be good. It is pretty impressive. It comes on again on Sunday. I would like to tape it and send it, but I will have to purchase a tape. It is a half hour piece though. Anyone really really interested. I had heard that Frank Miller was ill during the press junket for some press junket for SinCity. Anyone really really want it? I will try and see what I can do.

Here is the link to the thread discussing the making of piece. Pay attention to what the poster named Mark Askwith, he works for SPACE, he also reveals he's friend with Mr.Miller on the next page of the thread. You will probably figure out which one I am if you read the whole thread which you don't have to do ;)

ETA I forgot one of the Frodophiles watched the movie and said although it is very very violent, it is highly stylized so you won't be really disturbed by it.

I remember from the special from SPACE I think Rodriguez said he wanted to adapt filmaking/cinema to the book rather then adapting the book to fit into movie making. Just because of that innovative idea I want to see the movie.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 4:07 am

Fantastic movie. Wanted to watch it again. If you can stand the gore (goriest movie I've seen BY FAR), this movie's a helluva treat.

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 4:44 am
Marshmallow Toaster

I want to see it, but this town's one IDIOTIC movie theatre is choosing not to play it! And I don't have time to drive an hour to Topeka. I HATE Carmike Cinemas!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Maybe next weekend I'll have the time to make the drive. :(

TED: Your new Avatar is a lot less scary, BTW. ;)

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 9:38 am
Insolent Pup

Winged: I didn't think Gen. Sherman was so scary, but that's just me. :D

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Apr , 2005 5:20 pm
Fading Softly

Will not be released here. Ever.

:bawl:

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2005 12:41 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Great movie, but I'm not sure it'll end up on my DVD collection. It might. Great to see that it was filmed as a moving comic book rather than a film version of a comic - complete with the gore that that entrails, er, I mean entails.

Very stylistic, but after two hours it is slightly wearying. I would have cut out one of the three stories, expanded the other two, and lopped 20 minutes off the total running time.

Refreshing to see imaginative work for a change.

And more hot babes, and I mean HOT, than ever graced a Bond movie.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 8:15 pm
Not so deep as a well

Babes--beyond hot.

Elijah Wood--disturbed and disturbing. Glad to see he's avoiding typecasting...

Gore--up there with the "greats" like Kill Bill, but in a wide variety...from the laugh-provoking to the really, really uncomfortable-making.

Lines worth remembering--plenty. :D

Chances in real life of Bruce Willis not nailing the 19-year old stripper--zero.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 9:06 pm
Living in hope

I wish I could watch this film. The visuals look amazing to me.

It's not a principle thing--it's a not-having-a-memory-I-don't-want-to-have thing.

Years ago I read a New Yorker article about the last Hannibal Lecter novel that described something Lecter does toward the end. And I wish to God I had never read this second-hand account of an event in a novel. To read the novel itself, or see the film based on it--forget it.

I'm a wimp. :blackeye

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 9:17 pm
Not so deep as a well

Prim--
I feel the same way about the end of Seven, so it's not just you...

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 9:33 pm
Living in hope

That one was already on my "Not for the Prim" list, but I'll add a bullet. :D

Thanks.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 10:24 pm
His Rosyness

Saw this today. Awesome :D

What I loved was the atmosphere of the dark fantasy visuals combined with the same 'adult cool' as films like Pulp Fiction. This was a film experience different to any other I've seen.

Like Lidless, I'm not sure if it will end up in my DVD collection. There were some parts that didn't quite keep the momentum going. But I'll probably buy it for the first story alone (it was a shame this story came first, as it was so good it made the second story a bit of a let down).

Wingy, I hope you don't have to wait too long to see it!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Apr , 2005 11:10 pm

Steve's dead on. It was a very solid movie but the tighter pacing would've helped it out tremendously. Editting out even 10 minutes would probably make a noticeable difference.

Still, big thumbs up from me.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 5:22 am
His Rosyness

Well, I've been thinking back to the film all day (that's usually a good sign for a film). Some of the scenes are so grotesquely bizarre they can't help but stick in your mind. Not wanting to give away spoilers, a certain scene with Elijah Wood was particularly effective in leaving a lasting impression on me :Q His expression in the scene I'm talking about is still freaking me out. It's great to see him getting some really interesting roles after LOTR (like in Eternal Sunshine and now this). I'll also mention the performance by Mickey Rourke as Marv - incredible. I'd give him a supporting actor oscar nom right now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 7:13 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Iavas wrote:
Wingy, I hope you don't have to wait too long to see it!
Me too!! :( If you liked it, it's pretty much a guarantee that I will too, which only makes the wait all the harder. :bang: I can't believe our idiotic theatre isn't playing it! They also didn't play Napoleon Dynamite until about five weeks after it went wide despite the fact that the director grew up right here in Manhattan, KS!! By the time they started playing it--only after great pressure--everyone who was planning on seeing it had already driven to Topeka, the capital of Kansas about an hour away.

Actually, there was a really funny comment in the forum in our university newspaper today (people call in or e-mail a short comment, usually humorous, and they print the best ones). One of the comments read:
Quote:
Dear Seth Child Cinema: thanks for not showing "Sin City." Signed, Topeka Chamber of Commerce.
:LMAO:

So did you manage to drag Eru along to see it with you? :cool:
Quote:
It's great to see him getting some really interesting roles after LOTR (like in Eternal Sunshine and now this).
Agreed. He's making some fantastic choices, which is great considering that he's a highly underrated actor in critic's circles. Sean Astin on the other hand is killing his own career, but let's not go there. :)[/b]

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 7:26 am
Living in hope

Sean Astin seems less willing than Elijah Wood to play anyone who won't be liked. It may connect to issues of Astin's own?

I can't honestly diss him for it. I love his Sam so much--imperfections and all, Book Sam not being perfect either.

. . . Well, I don't love the bellowing.

But in the end, I think, he's our loving and loveable Tolkien Sam.

(And I really liked Rudy, too.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 7:48 am
His Rosyness

Wingy, is it not possible for you to take a trip to Topeka? It would be worth it I'd say! It's funny, as I was watching the film today, at one point I thought to myself "I bet Wingy will like this film too"! ;)

I was actually fortunate to get to see the film, I didn't think I would. I had a job interview which finished early and I had a couple of hours to spare waiting for Eru to pick me up, and conveniently there was a cinema nearby just about to show Sin City. It worked out well because Eru doesn't want to see it. Will your wife be going?

I haven't really followed Sean Astin's post-LOTR career, I just remember seeing him in 50 First Dates and finding him pretty funny. What roles has he turned down?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 10:15 pm
Insolent Pup

Elijah Wood played a creepy and fucked up character quite well. I loved his after Marv had a "talk" with him and brought over his wolf.

Sin City had plenty of beautiful ladies and that was another credit to the film, aside from the excellent gore. Miho, Becky, Nancy, Gale, Dallas, Brittany Murphy's character... :drool:

Sean Astin was the only funny part to 50 First Dates. Adam Sandler....ugh. But it was nice to see Drew Barrymore the whole time.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 5:27 am
His Rosyness

Just showing off my avatar ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 6:22 am