Jump to page « 1 2 3
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 7:12 am
His Rosyness

I guess I could use this version instead then:

[ img ]

:P

It's funny seeing Elijah in my avatar so close to Elijah in your sig - it's hard to believe it's the same guy!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 12:34 pm
b77 whipping boy

Saw this last night and i really enjoyed it. Alll the talk of gore and violence had made me a little worried, as I usually don't enjoy that kind of thing, but in the end, I really really like it.

The only part I found truly disturbing was the cut off hand... the rest of it was so "comic book" it didn't bother me at all.

I really enjoyed how the stories tied together and thought the use of color was very well done (except when Willis's character was all in color, don't think that worked in its place).

Kevin was a perfectly disturbing character, and opposite of Marv was great. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the "pretty boy" was the totally evil guy, and the mangled "freak" was the good guy. That's good stuff.

I didn't get the same "could cut 10 minutes" feeling everyone else had, but then, I left at the beginning of story 2 for abotu 5 minutes, and when I came back they were still in that apartment... so maybe that's where things got too long for people :).

All in all, very enjoyable, but not a repeat view I imagine. It did make me want to read the books, though...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:17 pm
Not so deep as a well

halplm--

My take exactly...once is enough for the film, but I need to get the comix now...

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 11:20 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Sean Astin is gunning for a political career in the long term. He hasn't said it, but I know it. Mark my words.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 3:27 pm

Actually, using style to capture a comic book feel was also done to a degree in Dick Tracy, where every single piece of clothing and set design was one of seven colors. A specific shade of red, green etc...

Last edited by Lidless on Sat 09 Apr , 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 4:07 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
My take exactly...once is enough for the film, but I need to get the comix now...
For me, the desire to see it again is growing every day. I don't think it will have the same impact on the small screen.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 11:56 pm

Prim--I think I read that same NYer article on Hannibal because I stayed the hell away from that book and was still very disturbed.

I couldn't say if anything in Sin City would bother you that way; as others have said, it's very comic book-y. But still, some of those scenes...wow.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and really liked all the stylistic touches. I cared about an awful lot of people in it despite their being very over the top etc. Some of the shots which I think I even remember from the comics were just gorgeous and made me want to freeze it and stare at them.

Is it wrong of me to be almost most interested in seeing the backstory of Rourke and Kevin? I can't believe how much I bought that. In a city full of people who killed all the time for justice, there really was something "clean" or perversely holy about Kevin. It's like...the other characters may have been more just, but they took people out as human garbage, even if it was for good reasons. There was something strangely compelling by contrast about Kevin and Rourke's desire for souls. Also, I adored that last time we saw Kevin when he was just sitting there reading, and had a moment of wondering how he and Junior worked out sharing the farm. There's a couple of wacky roommates.

-m

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 2:31 pm
His Rosyness

I saw the film again last night with Eru. It held up pretty well on 2nd viewing, though didn't have quite the same shock value. Unfortunately it was almost ruined by a row of teenagers sitting near the front who seemed to think they were watching a comedy. You could hear them giggling away even from the back row where we were. If I'd have been anywhere near them they would not have been there at the end.

Strangely, the story I enjoyed the least the first time (the 2nd one) I enjoyed the most this time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 3:28 am
Takoyaki is love

I just saw it yesterday, I really enjoyed it. :)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 6:11 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Saw the movie wednesday and loved it immensly. I'm not one who's disturbed by movie violence, as long as it's not cheesy (I very much dislike cheesy horror flicks...). As a visual guy, the style reeeally appealed to me. Marv was my favorite storyline, mostly cause of Marv himself. The scene where he was pressing a guy against the asphalt with one hand, while driving a car topspeed was great. "I don't know about you, but I'm having a blast."

All in all, I didn't think the storyline was very thin. Mostly cause I enjoyed monologuing. In fact, the movie reminded me of one of my favorite games: Max Payne. Sure, a lot of the action scenes weren't necessary, but they had a tiny plot-twist hidden usually. Anyway, I loved it...

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 6:29 pm

Great to see you posting Ag!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 6:35 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

Yeeeah, glad to be back. Not sure how active I'll be. I'm still a bit down because of school, and stuff. Hopefully it'll get on track.

Good to see your face, though. Well, Gollum's face but the difference is negligible...:P

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2005 6:40 pm

Yeah - I keep forgetting - you've met me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Jun , 2005 10:33 am
of Vinyamar

Just saw it last night myself. I'd agree with Ag, it was very Max Payne. In some ways I feel that might have been a disadvantage. Because we'd already experienced the ultra cool retro-noir feel in Max Payne this felt almost like a ripoff. That said I really enjoyed it. I'll certainly be adding it to my DVD collection.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Klonkku
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 4:34 pm
Blade Runner

I saw it yesterday, and it was a sick, twisted, stylistic -- even beautiful -- experience :) Sin City basically thrives with style - it looks almost exactly like Miller's original comic-books ( which I haven't read - only shuffled through ). The acting was wonderful ( who wouldn't love to see Mickey Rourke back at his thing again? ), and the music was very fitting. The mood was dark, dark and dark - full of noirish elements and despair. *Very* lovely.

All in all, I will be lining up for the DVD. Sin City has replay-value ( given that I love the style, the value is nearly endless ) and certain coolness as a collectible.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: