board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The secret to liking Harry Potter and the Fifth Fiasco

Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 171 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 May , 2005 11:55 am

OK, the article claims that Harry is trying to seduce Lucius Malfoy by showing him that he doesn’t have a sock on:
Quote:
In a particularly distasteful and lewd display, Potter tries to tempt the rightfully furious Angel by raising his pant leg and showing him his nude ankle. In this way the Harry Potter books contribute to the hidden gay agenda. When this temptation is refused, he has a malignant house spirit who embodies all the evils of stem-cell research curse the angel down.
The most comprehensive anti-Potter Christian website that I’ve found is a cuttingedge.com:

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/hpmain.html

Then again, the site also claims that the Pope is a powerful Necromancer who is luring people into phallus-worship, that George W. Bush is a born-again Satanist who is allied with the Illuminati and that the American Government has engineered every school shooting over the last ten years so that their locations make a huge mark of the beast across the face of the United States so I wouldn’t describe their views as being in any way mainstream.

As to HBP, I think that we've covered most of what we know or can guess in the TORC thread. Digging through it may reveal some unanswered questions, but at the moment the identity of the HBP is the main issue.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 May , 2005 2:11 pm
Fading Softly

I'm still trying to figure out how Dobby embodies the evils of stem cell research...am I missing something obvious? :Q

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 May , 2005 10:38 pm
wencherific

Maybe...because...well...

I have absolutely no idea. :neutral:

And that's one of the most ridiculous accusations I've ever read. :roll:

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 May , 2005 5:52 am
You Tolkien to me?

Oh, well....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And i suppose you have a point about HBP, Lord_M ;)

Now, what i want to know is how these people can believe that showing someone your ankle is a temptation. Does that mean that showing ANY part of your body is a temptation? Or is it just specifically something to do with ankles? For the rest i can sort of understand what they're saying, but this just really confuses me :scratch :scratch ;)

And no idea about the stem cell thing....perhaps they think Dobby is a human gone wrong due to experiments by the stem cell research team?? :scratch :Q :blackeye

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 07 May , 2005 11:47 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Quote:
Possible reference to homosexuality . When I was first researching Harry Potter, I examined several pro-Potter websites. The author of one of the articles said that one of the probable developments she felt would occur in the latter books was the advent of homosexuality in the story theme. She said such activity was only hinted at in the first books. With this thought in mind, you will better understand this sentence.

"Professor Flitwick [Charms teacher] put the class into pairs to practice [levitating]. Harry's partner was Seamus Finnigan (which was a relief, because Neville had been trying to catch his eye)." [p. 171] We shall see if homosexuality does develop in any of the last three books, because in the first three, this is the only possible reference to it.
:bang: :damnfunny

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 12:02 am
wencherific

Again, I say, Oh good grief...

:roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 12:56 am

I found a read through the Harry Potter thread on their boards very interesting:

http://www.bonnie-q.com/Jesus_Saves/iko ... ;f=5;t=390

A number of people asked, more or less, what the writer of the article was on. The board's owner, who strikes me as a megalomaniac (calls herself the super administrator, edits peoples posts at will, has made half the posts on the board herself and treats anyone who disagrees with her like an idiot) kindly replied (with about 10 posts in a row...)

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 6:26 am
You Tolkien to me?

Fascinating. And she got a number of facts wrong as well:
Quote:
Harry Potter books are about witches and wizards, and their practices of divination, necromancy and sorcery.
There is absolutely no proof of the practice of necromancy in the HP books. Even Voldemort, who is as evil as they get, does not practice any form of necromancy- in fact, he's more interested in STAYING alive rather than worring with the dead, because he realises that death is the end. Doesn't Dumbledore say in book 4 that there is no spell that can bring the dead back to life? Yet that's what necromancy means- bringing the dead back to a semblance of life.

The user GodsGift made a few good points on page four of the thread.....and also managed to anger the meglomanic admin, so Kudos to him ;) I seriously don't think that Bonnie is stable though.....she needs help :Q :Q

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 9:41 am
Aspiring to heresy

And all of her posts are in red! Remind you of anyone? :D

I'm a latecomer to this thread but I'll jump in now - only two months and one day to go! :cheerleader: I won't be staying up 'til midnight, but I'll get it first thing in the morning and spend the day reading :)

I have high hopes for this one!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 10:38 pm
wencherific

Heh...no midnight for me either, but then I don't think the bookstore where I reserved mine is going to be open at midnight. :P If it was, I'd consider going for it then.

:D

If only there was a big Barne's and Nobel around or something...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 12:59 am
Waiting for winter

I’ve just been reading through this thread (very nice, by the way. big Harry Potter fan here!) and saw the link to that ridiculous article. There was a hilarious spoof on this type of article several years ago on the satire website The Onion.com which was so well written that many people took it serious. It apparently circulated throughout the lunatic-fringe circles and was eventually quoted by some as proof that HP was corrupting children. Which just goes to show that people will believe anything.

The Onion has since taken the article down, but here is a site that has the original text, along with some comments.

Harry Potter Books Spark Rise In Satanism Among Children

I started re-reading the entire series in anticipation of the new book. I have just started on GOF tonight. I’ve only read OotP once, and like Hal I read the whole thing in one sitting, so I’m greatly looking forward to reading it again (may even remember some of it this time).

As for whether I like OotP or not, well, I’m usually a very slow reader. A book that long would typically take me several weeks to read. The fact that I read it in one day should tell you something. :D

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 11:46 am
You Tolkien to me?

Heya Jude- glad you've joined us. Better late than never :D Only person i can think of who's got red posts is Balrogthane....any connection there? :scratch :damnfunny ;)

I'm sorry to say, but everyone had high hopes for OotP too....i'm TRYING not to get myself too hyped up about it, just in case it turns out to be disappointing, but it's no good.....

ONLY 67 DAYS LEFT!!!! :D :D :D

I'm probably pulling an all-nighter with a friend of mine, but we'll see what really happens the night before.... ;)

Tinwe, Hey there :) That article is hilarious! :damnfunny And i don't see how people could take that seriously....
Quote:
"I used to believe in what they taught us at Sunday School," said Ashley, conjuring up an ancient spell to summon Cerebus, the three-headed hound of hell.

:D Stuff like that totally gives it away. You'd have to be either really thick or really desperate to believe something like this.....good laugh, though :D

Oh, and Jude.....nice to see that Calvin and Hobbes sig again. Extended Edition is darn good too ;)

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 May , 2005 12:58 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Well, I wasn't disappointed in Order of the Phoenix, although I'd probably label it the weakest of the series so far...

One of the reasons I have high hopes for the remaining two books is the fact that Ms. Rowling planned the whole series in advance - it's not a case of writing a bunch of sequels to capitalize on the commercial success of the original (she's even written the last chapter in full - did you know that? It's locked away somewhere).

:oops: And I just noticed that my timing was off in my previous post when I said "two months and one day to go".

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 3:38 pm
Milk and kisses

Argh, Jude, I've only just realised that there are only two books to go, and that after Half-Blood Prince there will be only ONE HP book left! :(

Where will I get my geeky fix then? :Q

I'm re-reading OotP now, in preparation for H-BP, because I only read it once; if I have enough time, I may re-read the whole series the week before the release, aiming to finish OotP the night before that hot-out-of-the-Amazon-oven tome lands on my doorstep... :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 4:09 pm
b77 whipping boy

I don't think OOtP was the weakest, that honor goes to COS. There just wasn't enough in that book to make it work. OOtP did suffer from a lack of editing, but Umbridge is so very very evil, that it makes the book work.

Basically, if they had just cut out the bit about Hagrid it all would have worked better...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 4:14 pm
Living in hope

halplm wrote:
Basically, if they had just cut out the bit about Hagrid it all would have worked better...
I completely agree, Hal. I was terribly impatient during that loooong digression the first time I read the book, and the next time I simply skipped it. Adds nothing, does nothing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 4:19 pm
Milk and kisses

What part about Hagrid? You mean, the whole "Hagrid brings back a giant from his travels" storyline?

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 4:41 pm
Living in hope

That's the one.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 May , 2005 4:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Berhael wrote:
Where will I get my geeky fix then? :Q
Have you read the entire History of Middle Earth series yet? That should keep you busy for a while. :D (I'm currently on vol. 2 and loving it!)

Apologies for the osgiliation. We now return this thread to its regularly scheduled topic.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 2:12 am
wencherific

I thoroughly enjoyed OotP...wasn't disappointed at all, and I have high hopes for H-BP since things really seem to be picking up now. I plowed right through OotP, enjoy every minute of it, except for the times of exclaiming things like "What???" "AUUUGGGGHHh!!" etc (but that's all part of enjoying it :D Love to hate Umbridge and wanting to strangle her every time she went hem hem), and I expect to enjoy H-BP just as much.

Except then there's only going to be one more. :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 9  [ 171 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: