33% [ 11 ]
Total votes: 33
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 6:47 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Primula_Baggins wrote:
I wonder if this isn't two polls?

One with a short voting period asking whether we should invite the recently banned people immediately. I think this is an emergency.

One with more time for discussion asking whether and how we should shorten the invite process.
There are so many polls going on right now... Just trying to simplify things.

I've edited the options above.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 6:47 pm

Also, would it be ok to shorten Marty's invite time? He's not to be invited until next Sunday, but he's really upset with TORC. He was going to post last night, but wanted to wait until he thought his voice would be heard. He's still thinking of posting something to go down in flames, but I'm not sure if he will.

I'd like to have him come here sooner, he's only got good votes and such in the invite thread.

Besides, taking away the person with one of the most popular TORC threads would only hurt TORC, right? ;)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 9:53 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

Rebecca, there's another poll up in the invite forum to shorten the invite time. Looks like that's going to happen, and it would benefit Marty along with quite a few others.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks jny.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 10:48 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I haven't time right now to digest all four pages.

But why isn't there an option to not open and to keep the invites at 9 days?

Edit after reading Jny's post:
Quote:
Well, my preference I guess would be to expunge our prior relationship to TORC before we open, and become a slate-clean alternative messageboard for literary and film discussion and collaborative writing.

It will come up in the course of conversation that we all met each other on Torc, but even that will change when we open to the public and I think that constant reference to our roots might be off-putting to new members from the 'outside world.'
When we move to a new board, we'll naturally leave a lot of this behind and only take the threads we need or really want to preserve. That is our clean slate. And we need to focus on healing ourselves, as well as organising our governance structure, before we move.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 11:11 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
I agree with everything that Nin says. :)
Oh Voronwe - you know how to make me happy. :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 11:26 pm

Leoba, you're right. There should be a 'no change' option in the poll. Maybe Estel can fix that when she sees these posts.

Eleven people have voted so far, overwhelmingly in favor of staying closed but shortening the voting process. I haven't voted yet and will wait until the poll is balanced.

Jn

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Feb , 2005 11:38 pm

I haven't voted yet because I would like to see an option that means opening, but keeping registration monitored. Or is that the first choice?

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 2:28 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Oh crap Crap CRAP!!!!!

Shit.

I accidently deleted the poll :oops: That's what I get for doing three things at once dammit. I was only meant to edit in another option.

SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

People will have to recast their votes I'm afraid.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 2:30 am

That's OK Estel. I'm glad we have to start over because 11 people had voted in an incomplete poll.

It's better if we start over from the beginning.

(Thanks for running over here so fast, btw! The next thing you have to learn is how to push a vaccum cleaner while running.) :)

Jn

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 9:35 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Thank you Estel. :)

We really can't make policy decisions reactively every time TORC Admin go loopy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 10:45 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Not a bad thing the hiccup has happened Estel ;) ~ what Leoba said :)

Thing is... I still can't vote.... if I want to be pedantic ;)
I have no problem in shortening the invite process for those that are on TORCs banned list - but not for anyone else. Sorry, but that's just not fair. Special circumstances yes I understand and all and everybody is special too. BUT ~~~ and now I'm going to bore you all again by reposting once more what I've said in a few threads already. Sorry - but I really feel the need to do that for I'm having a bad case of deja-vu and as much as I realize that time and space is needed I hope we can get through this and onto new grounds as soon as possible:

Let the invite process continue (fast-tracked for the banned ones, yes! I agree) Let the threads that deal with the hurt run and once they're done, save them yourselves if you want (from your webbrowser file > save as > choose webarchive single file *mht and do that for every page). Eventually they'll be deleted. We need to move on and at the same time people need time to talk and heal . We can't throw open the doors from one day to another just like that . We need to work towards that and the more time you invest into that process the faster it will happen.

On B77 dot com there's already a statement. Well done! It was very necessary. Let those that want answers and info get in touch via that email addy there (to the admins here). Let the admins answer those emails and send the information as Eruname is putting it together (details as per her thread) out if they ask for it. Those that ask to be invited, let's start invite threads for them but unless they're on the banned list with the normal timeframe.

And let's work towards moving over to our place by agreeing on governance issues and once those are in place we can begin moving threads over and leave a lot of pain behind.

Inviting lots and lots of people that then will have to catch-up on ALL that's been going on and worked towards making B77 open and accessible to all is doing only one thing.... slow us down.. keeping this board invite only for longer than is necessary.

Please! Let's concentrate. If you know someone that might be valuable in the process of helping build B77 then by all means invite them. Those that have been banned, yes let's invite them. Those that get in touch via the links on the B77 dot com page with the admins here and ask to join, yes let's invite them.

Anybody else..... PLEASE BE PATIENT!

Good things are in the works - but only if we all can concentrate and make it happen. :)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 12:17 pm
Milk and kisses

The idea to shorten the invite times predates the bannings (I know, I was discussing that when things started to go awry on TORC, we witnessed that live!); many people who arrived in B77 after we took the decision to make it 2 days discussion + 9 days poll weren't able to vote on that and disagree. I think it's only fair to hear what those people have to say.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 12:55 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Berhael, if we have to stop once a fortnight to re-poll an issue for the sake of newcomers we'll never get anywhere.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 1:01 pm
Milk and kisses

But we tell them that they are members of B77 with the same rights as everyone else. It might be impractical, but we have to listen to what they say, or we're making them second-class citizens. If enough people now think that a policy ought to be changed, it would be short-sighted on our part not to heed them... *looks for YM's speccy smiley*

EDIT: [ img ]

Anyway: I'm not in a combative mood about this. But I really think we ought to listen to those people and try and find a workable solution. :)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 1:37 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Berhael wrote:
But we tell them that they are members of B77 with the same rights as everyone else. It might be impractical, but we have to listen to what they say, or we're making them second-class citizens. If enough people now think that a policy ought to be changed, it would be short-sighted on our part not to heed them... *looks for YM's speccy smiley*
Remember the people who have been on this board from the start. They have rights too.

If people joined the board, there were things in place, they should have to live by those decisions or do we just cast out every decision made for every new person we have on?

And fastracking anybody is not on. Lets just for a moment contemplate The Angel getting himself banned (would not surprise me if that was faked). And a fast track by angelites, when the decent thinking folk of the B77 are away for the weekend. And a fast vote says yeh, let him on. And then he is here. Do you want him to destroy another community. Ok so that is worst case scenario, but there are others that people have huge issues with that may not be out in the open. So they go away for a weekend, and come back to find their nemesis is flaunting around the boards. What then? Is that fair?

I still don't know why we are even contemplating opeing this board up. There is no need at all, and there are more than enough comments around stating that it is too soon, to stop being reactive and to just carry on as we are.

I would just say to everybody, calm down, so reacting without thinking, please.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 1:49 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Let me use an analogy: If you take the nationality of a coutnry, you have to live with its laws. You can take part in decisions from the moment you have been naturalized - but not before.

It's the same here. Some rules have been established - and we'll need rules if we want this board to work. Many of the old, some of the new posters have shown a level of implication that deserves to be taken in consideration and shows that they will be there for this board in the long run.

If people ask for exceptions in the rules after two days of membership - be open is one thing... rush is another.

We need some rules. If we have no TOS and no mods, the democratic rules are those which hold us together. We cannot change them all the time. We need a minimum of stability.

I know in the moment it's hard to accept, but think of the long run. Do you want this board as a hospital or as a home?

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 2:45 pm

I still agree with everything Nin says. :)

And Alandriel, too.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 4:32 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Quote:
I still agree with everything Nin says.

And Alandriel, too.
Me too, but that is easy to do. :)

I really don't want to get overly involved in any debates.
I am going to give my opinion once, and then I will shut up.

We are over 100 members now, and we are growing rapidly. Soon it will probably be 200 hundred members. Things around here are already chaotic and unwieldy. I am all for democracy, but as things stand right now, the "system" is getting out of hand. It is no longer feasible to vote on every subject every time there is an issue.

We need to have some type of government in place. Representitives. A ruling body. A Supreme Court. Whatever.
We need to set up a structure, vote on its members, and move on. We will waste time and accomplish nothing if we have to vote every two days.
Draft a constitution, vote for representitives, and elect some kind of court, and lets move on.
As much as I love having a say in every single issue, it is really no longer feasible. We need some people that have power that can make decisions and enforce any laws we put in place.

I will now shut up.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 4:41 pm

holby, how did you get to be so wise? :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 9  [ 166 posts ]
Return to “Threads of Historical Interest” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 69 »
Jump to: