board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

"To Hell with this!" Ever walked out on a film?

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 102 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 11:11 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Aliens... (the number 2)

I was fifteen and frightened to death.

Magnolia

it made me physically sick.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 10 Mar , 2005 11:58 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

I used to go to the Sneak Preview with a group every week. This means you pay half price, but don't know in advance what movie is playing, till it actually starts. There are always rumors of course. But we walked out of *so* many movies, because they were just utter crap.

Can't remember now though...:scratch

And I liked Solaris as well.

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed
And my eyes are closed tight,
As death now does us part."

A Rune engraved on my heart...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 3:02 pm
Not so deep as a well

Nin--

Did you leave Magnolia before the frogs fell out of the sky? :Q :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 3:24 pm

The only movie I ever remember walking out on was an old Jackie Chan movie with some really really lame plot and lots of boring, redundant, pointless action scenes. I don't mind Jackie much but his older stuff can really suck.

Movies that I wanted to walk out on include:
Battlefield Earth
Van Helsing
Pearl Harbor
Wicker Park (awful awful Josh Hartnett flic)
Paycheck

Probably a lot more that I can't remember. I'd never leave because I'm with friends and I don't want to bitch and moan about how much this movie sucks during the movie just in case they're actually enjoying themseves. Pearl Harbor, btw, is my most hated movie ever. And Michael Bay is the spawn of Satan.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 3:28 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

yovargas wrote:
Movies that I wanted to walk out on include:
Battlefield Earth
Van Helsing
I waited until rental before seeing these. I kept watching and kept watching, thinking, "surely it must get better. It can't get any worse. I'll hang on for the good bits."

I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 3:37 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

In my list of walk-out movies, I forgot to mention Thunderbirds which as a series was a staple diet of my youth.

Such a fucking travesty and a waste. Ag, Estel and I watched it on the ferry from Holland to England. Well, the first 45 excrutiating minutes of it. More wooden acting than the puppets. And the Spy-Kids version of it too...ack.

And it turns out we were not alone. Production and marketing was USD 77m in total, yet in the US it made less than USD 7m.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 5:07 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

sometimes you gotta wonder if the people making these movies ever watch them.. i mean.. who the hell did they ask to think this was a good idea to make :P

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2005 10:40 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Before the frogs fell - I had to rewatch it on DVD and then saw the frogs. Still hate that movie.

Unfortunately my husband loves it... and tries to convince me it's a great movie.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2005 9:53 am
Sorcery in Action

This thread is making me see that I share in the consensus about some truly uncomfortable movies to watch, I didnt walk out on these or really feel like walking out ( I only do that when the movie provokes very strong negative reactions ) but I agree with the preceeding in that Sweet November, Van Helsing and Solaris were all painful to watch :P
(Well, the most redeeming thing in Solaris was getting to see Clooney's behind... so that part was definitely not painful, I must state that for the record :P :devil: )

The only really bad movie I almost walked out on but ended up falling ASLEEP in (never happens) was Scary Movie II or something... my cousins made me go see it and I deeply regretted not camping outside of the theater and getting some sun...

The only two movies I almost walked out in the middle of, because of too strong reactions were Passion of the Christ and Saving Private Ryan... the former I truly would have walked out on, if we werent sitting smack in the middle of a packed theater opening day... didnt want to push my way past all the horrified and shocked people in the quiet audience...
The gratuitous violence in that film was total overkill, I still stand by that.
Having said that, it wasnt a bad film, and has some great parts...but unless I can fast forward those 20 minutes of "human steak making" I wouldnt watch it again.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 11:46 am
Garrulous Griffon

*runs in DAAAAAAYYSS late and tacklehugs Mummpizz*

Praise be! I thought I was the only one on B77 who thought that Solaris steamed gently ... :D

Iavas_Saar and the other voices who likes Solaris - you did?? What did you like about it? I like films that are not formula and mainstream but ... oy! Solaris was just - dumb and boring. As Mummpizz said, beautifully filmed, but that just didn't cut it for me :D

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 11:50 am
Milk and kisses

I liked Solaris :oops: Maybe it was the way it reminded me of 2001...
But then I like odd films. :)

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 12:44 pm
Garrulous Griffon

Ber - but why? If I could only get someone to explain it to me, maybe I would then know what I was supposed to think of it. Maybe I'll even like it :D The few seconds of oogling Clooney more or less nekkid didn't cut it for me. The guy is too smooth for me :neutral:

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 4:29 pm
His Rosyness

Griff - what I like about Solaris is the atmosphere. I don't mind if the pace is slow, I find the visuals and otherworldly music haunting, especially in the memories sequences. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 4:59 pm
Garrulous Griffon

Ah. Well, on some level that worked for me. It was a visually attractive film. But nothing happened! That is what got me in the end. I spend too much time staring at Cloony being wide-eyed and breathing heavily :P

The atmosphere was build up well, and I liked that, but that was all the film had. It didn't tell a story to me.

Maybe I'm just too much a logical, want-a-conclusion INTJ for films like that :D

Profile Quote
philociraptor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 5:03 pm
Mr Phlibbles

Does falling asleep count? managed to do that during AI when i woke up i was a tad disappointed as it still had not ended.
Final fantasy required three seperate viewings to manage to see it in the entirety second 2 were on DVD at mates fell asleep then too. Think its my brain that walks out on the movies.
Wish i had walked out on matrix revoloutions and probably reloaded too.
Attack of the clones and the Phantom menace deserved to never be seen by human eyes as well imho.
I'm sure there are more just what jumped to mind.

"if wishes were fisheses the world would be an ocean"

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 6:59 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
The atmosphere was build up well, and I liked that, but that was all the film had. It didn't tell a story to me.
It did for me. :) I found the idea of trying to come to terms with a "clone" of someone you once loved interesting and sometimes moving. The ending left me with several questions too. I like films that leave me thinking.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 8:25 pm

In 55 years have only walked out on one film -- THE EXORCIST -- and that was because this old Catholic school boy was scared to death.

I wanted to walk out on SCARFACE -- still consider it one of the worst and most offensive films I have ever seen -- but stuck around to the end. Glad I did so if only to say what a garbage dump it was.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 10:10 pm
Marshmallow Toaster

I also really liked Solaris. My wife and I own it on DVD. I thought it explored some rather interesting philosophical issues. And I really didn't mind the slow pace... I found it rather haunting. And the tragic story behind the death of Clooney's wife made me :bawl:.

As for films I walked out on, the only two I can think of are Spy Kids and Moulin Rouge. Sorry, I know a lot of people like MR, but it was just too weird for my liking, and I felt nothing for any of the characters.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 10:21 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I certainly understand, Wingy. I didn't think I would like MR, but I wanted to take part in the astounding visual journey I knew it would be. Sure enough, it started out just as fucked up as ROMEO AND JULIET, but once Ewan belted out the tune from Sound of Music, they had me completely. It was just as much an emotional experience as a visual one. But the "Like A Virgin" sequence is a bit too silly for me, so I usually fast forward it. It's not bad, its just strange and awkward. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 10:29 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
I also really liked Solaris. My wife and I own it on DVD. I thought it explored some rather interesting philosophical issues. And I really didn't mind the slow pace... I found it rather haunting. And the tragic story behind the death of Clooney's wife made me
Why am I not surprised to hear this, even down to using the word 'haunting' like I did? :D And I have the DVD too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 102 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: