board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 99 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 197 98 99 100 101138 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Sat 17 Jan , 2015 2:57 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I will put that on my list of sites to see! :)

Oh, but I've given up on my dream to travel, though, so that's problematic. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 17 Jan , 2015 3:03 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What? What about your Ireland jar? Does it still exist?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 18 Jan , 2015 2:06 am

It exists for the moment. I am contemplating doing something with it like giving it away. I've just decided it's better to accept that I'm never going to get to realize these dreams than to continue living with false hopes. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2015 2:42 am

Texas School Suspends 9-Year-Old For Terrorism Because He Brought Imaginary Hobbit Ring To Class
Quote:
Texas School Suspends 9-Year-Old For Terrorism Because He Brought Imaginary Hobbit Ring To Class
Author: Stephen D Foster Jr February 1, 2015 1:55 pm

A nine-year-old boy has been suspended by officials at a Texas school because they believe bringing an imaginary Hobbit ring to class is an act of terrorism.

When Aiden Steward watched “The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies” earlier this week with his family, he naturally wanted to pretend to be a character from the film. Specifically, he pretended to be Bilbo Baggins, the hesitantly brave hero who acquires a magic ring from the creature Gollum in the first movie in the trilogy, which is based on a book written by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Forged at the fictional location of Mount Doom, it is “the one ring to rule them all,” giving the wearer the power of invisibility. The power of the ring aided Bilbo during his journey. So, Aiden brought a ring of his own to Kermit Elementary School and told his friends that they, too, could become invisible by using his ring. Again, the ring had no powers whatsoever, because this is reality.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Kermit Elementary has punished Aiden for things that seem to only bother Texas.

Aiden once brought his favorite book to school to impress his teacher, but school officials freaked out because “The Big Book of Knowledge” had a section about pregnancy and included an illustration of a pregnant woman. In another innocuous incident, Aiden referred to a black student as black, which drew yet another suspension from the school.
Public schools ... what can you do?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2015 3:42 am

:suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2015 3:46 am

No need to make that face, you've seen the funny time stamp in my signature before.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2015 7:05 pm

Hard to believe that's the full story, if the kid has been suspended 3 times this year. That said, I wish U.S. schools would get rid of that stupid "terroristic threat" label for misbehavior. Call it what it is - bullying, or threatening a classmate, or whatever - but labeling children as terrorists always seems like an overreaction to me.

And who knows - maybe the school was just trying to protect the kids from Sauron, who might have shown up looking for his ring.... ;)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2015 1:22 pm
You are hearing me talk

It's been known to happen to short people from rural areas.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2015 2:20 pm

True (I'm thinking of the 5 year old girl with the Hello Kitty bubble gun and other toy/play gun incidents). I also know of one elementary school district where the kids are no longer allowed real metal knives at lunch, dull though those always were. They've gone to plastic knives in the name of safety. Apparently, forks are still safe, though you could probably do as much damage with them. I guess it's the word "knife" that's scary to school administrators.

But the other incidents were all isolated overreactions with the "zero tolerance" business. Not 3 times in 6 months, with what seem to be clearly innocent acts each time, according to the father. The book strikes me as particularly odd. You'd think that, at most, the teacher would temporarily confiscate it - not suspend the kid. The other thing that raises my potential BS meter is that he told his classmate he'd make him disappear by putting the Ring on top of his head. That could easily be part of an argument or intimidation attempt, rather than 2 kids playing.

Who knows. But we've only heard one side of the story, and it doesn't seem clear-cut to me.

EDIT:
Quote:
It's been known to happen to short people from rural areas.
I was being dense, wasn't I? :) Short people as in Rings and hobbits from the Shire, not little girls in Pennsylvania school districts ... :blackeye:

Last edited by aninkling on Thu 05 Feb , 2015 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2015 2:21 pm

It's on the internet - it must be true!

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2015 7:58 pm

Of course. :)

And now for something completely different:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/940 ... y-hunters/

Quote:
Return of the fairy-hunters
An eccentric English tradition acquires some new academic firepower

If like me you get all your news from the Cornish Guardian, you may have spotted an article announcing that the Fairy Investigation Society is conducting a survey. They’re seeking information from anyone who has seen any pixies, elves or sprites. . .
Some of it is hilarious.
Quote:
Marjorie Johnson, eventually secretary of the society, encountered an elf in her bedroom as a child and grew up to be a committed fairy-hunter. In the post-war years, she assembled a remarkable archive of sightings — including a family of gnomes in Wollaton Park who were observed driving about in small racing cars. Miss Johnson intended to publish her magnum opus but was undone by some unguarded comments to a tabloid. ‘It has taken me years of study to win their friendship and discover the secrets of their sex life,’ she told the Sunday Pictorial

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2015 8:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Were they Tolkien elves or Pratchett elves?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2015 9:02 pm
A green apple painted red

Maybe they are the Long Earth stepping elves. In which case, we are in trouble.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 08 Feb , 2015 8:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 12 Feb , 2015 1:05 am

Jude wrote:
See Dodger by Pratchett. :cool:

More from the "only in Texas" news feed:

Rattlesnake Causes North Central Texas Radar Outage
Quote:
The National Weather Service says a North Central Texas radar site is offline, and a rattlesnake is to blame.

The NWS put out a message saying "due to complications involving a rattlesnake" the site in Granger will be down overnight Tuesday and possibly into Wednesday afternoon.

The NWS tells NBC 5 a technician went to the site Tuesday to upgrade software and when he opened a cabinet containing some computer equipment he discovered a rattlesnake. The technician quickly left the building.

The NWS says animal control will remove and relocate the snake Wednesday
Highlights mine

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 12 Feb , 2015 1:11 am
Aspiring to heresy

Frelga wrote:
For that matter, see any Pratchett book where Harry King makes an appearance :cool:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 12 Feb , 2015 1:45 am

Jude wrote:
Frelga wrote:
For that matter, see any Pratchett book where Harry King makes an appearance :cool:
True.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 12 Feb , 2015 4:17 am

I like the rattlesnake thing! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 13 Feb , 2015 4:41 pm

I don't like the rattlesnake thing. What was it doing inside? In a cabinet???

Poor confused snake. :nono:

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 27 Feb , 2015 5:34 am

Continuing with the Texas theme.

Texas Truck of Terror
Quote:
Mark Oberholtzer wasn't following the Syrian militant group Jabhat Ansar al-Din on Twitter. So when they tweeted a picture of a Ford pickup in December with an anti-aircraft gun blazing from the truck bed, he probably missed it.

Until someone mentioned to him that it was his truck. Or rather, it was a truck previously owned by his plumbing company. The jihadists hadn't bothered to remove the decal from the door for Mark-1 Plumbing, complete with his phone number, before sending out the action shot on social media.

Oberholtzer says he traded the truck in at a Texas dealership in 2013. From there, it went to an auction house and was bought and sold until it ended up with its Twitter-happy new owners near Aleppo.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 99 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 197 98 99 100 101138 »
Jump to: