The Last Homely Site on the Web

Gardening

Post Reply   Page 13 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 16 »
nienna
Post subject: Re: Gardening
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2022 7:53 am
The best things in life are not things

Jude, tbh, I don't know what a water-bath canner is so I don't think the mis-spelling occurred to me! What a pain those aphids are... :(

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 18 Feb , 2023 9:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So I almost picked up an orchid plant at the grocery on a whim - but then I remembered my success with indoor plants so I abstained.

Has anyone successfully grown an orchid? Any tips?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2023 2:13 am
A green apple painted red

I had one survive for years. We got it at a Trader Joe's, I think it was a Phalaenopsis. It lived on the windowsill in the bathroom behind the frosted glass, and I occasionally stuck a fertilizer stick into the pot.

It was doing great, but then the ants got in and made an anthill in the pot. I could probably have repotted it safely but it didn't work out.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2023 3:20 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I used to kill all my plants, but I've had very good luck with orchids! I got good advice at an orchid show once, and that seems to have helped. They like my light (a southern window), and I water them once a week. But I let them pretend they're in the rainforest. I put them in the shower and just let them soak in the spray for at least 5 minutes. They like the sprayer in the sink, too, if you have one. Don't do the ice cube trick if you've heard that one. The orchid people said it was bad for them.

I probably should give them a boost of food here. It's been awhile.

I had ants get into one of mine, too, and that was a horrifying day when I put it under the kitchen sprayer and 5 billion tiny slab ants came pouring out. <shudders> I won't buy that kind of pot anymore for that reason.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2023 4:49 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What kind of pot was that? Just so I know what to avoid.

I find it disturbing that both of you had ant infestations. Is there something about orchids that attracts ants?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2023 7:02 pm

Orchids supposedly like pots with cutouts, which expose their roots to the air. It's not like the ants couldn't get into a regular pot, though.

On that train of thought - once I'm no longer a walking biohazard, I want to see if the garden center had violets. For some reason, I really want some in the house.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2023 7:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Are violets hard to grow?

For that matter, could orchids and violets survive the trip home in sub-zero weather? Maybe I should forget about this until the spring.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2023 9:57 pm

Violets are the easiest. You stick a leaf into a well drained pot, and you'll get a new plant.

I don't know about the freezing temperatures, but maybe if you swaddle it on the way to the car? How long is it going to be exposed?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2023 1:09 am
Aspiring to heresy

I can remember when I tried to give a basil plant to a friend one winter some years back. In the short distance from my house to their car, it went from being perfectly healthy to dead. Mind you, it was an extremely cold day, but since then I've been wary of letting indoor plants outside during the winter.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2023 9:21 am

I assume you guys are talking about "African violets" not our native wild ones! My family have cultivated AVs for years, growing new plants from the leaves like Frelga says. You can even get little glass bottles for starting the root growth off in!

My mum also has several orchids although I don't care for them much. But never heard of any ant infestations before..

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2023 1:08 pm

Yes, it was the open air pot like Frelga described.

I also can keep African violets alive! My dad taught me that trick. They are bottom drinkers, so, once a week, I fill the saucer with water and let her drink till she's not soaking up any more water. I pour out whatever is leftover in the saucer and let her go till the next week. Again, they love my southern light.

Actually, the orchids and the AV get kind of tucked under or behind other plants. I think they prefer indirect light.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2023 6:46 pm

Nienna, yes, African violets. Although the little wild ones are also very sweet.

Another undemanding house plant is Tradescantia (Spiderwort). It also propagates by cuttings. When I was a kid, they were very popular. We grew them in wall pots (suspended in macrame harness, of course) and draped them along the walls. They come in pretty colors, purple and variegated, and some are fuzzy.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2023 6:59 pm

Oh, my grandad used to love growing Tradescantia!

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 13 May , 2023 7:38 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Anyone else excited about gardening season starting up?

I've started preemptively spraying my blackcurrant bush. I haven't actually seen any aphids yet. On the other hand, some branches are bare for several inches, and then nearer the end they sprout leaves and flowers. If they were just bare all the way to the end, I'd know to prune them. Why would a branch be bare in the middle and then fruitful further out?

It would be amazing if I could get a blackcurrant harvest two years in a row...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 13 May , 2023 7:59 pm

I actually got outside today and planted some flowers. I get excited about yard work about 4 times a year, and that's it because I'm not a gardener.

We are going to do more with the front porch still, and we have the large flower bed out front, currently only with two holly bushes and some lilies of the valley that have amazingly survived Jenn's ruthless attempts to kill them. (I'm secretly glad because I love them. >:) )

My female holly bush seems to be making a comeback. She lost most of her leaves this winter, and I'm not sure why other than a lot of wind in that part of the yard. The male holly bush did fine, but he was more protected. Anyway, I'm pleased as punch to see the female putting out new leaves and little flowers. [ img ]

And look at my irises! The bearded irises are descended from my grandpa's, so I'm thrilled that they are surviving and blooming. I love irises!

If I can get some peonies from my dad, then I'll also have another connection to my grandpa. That's on the list this year to do.

The only flower I am missing are violets. Every house I've lived in had them in the yard naturally. They were not here when we moved in, and Jenn wouldn't want them in the lawn. Do you think I could have them in a planter? A confined area of some kind? They are literally a wildflower, so I don't know if they'll like being "kept."[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 13 May , 2023 9:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It's worth a try. What have you got to lose?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 14 May , 2023 12:34 am

That's true! I think I'll just go for it. Stay tuned!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 15 May , 2023 11:01 am
Aspiring to heresy

Why does the expression "green thumb" exist? My fingers are all black and brown from the gardening. Wouldn't "brown thumb" be more appropriate?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 15 May , 2023 11:50 am

More literally appropriate, maybe, but it makes me think of other things, other expressions instead.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 18 May , 2023 6:48 pm

After picking tomatoes, my hands and arms get very green just from brushing the foliage. I've learned never to use a white towel in the summer time after gardening. I never quite get the green all washed off and some inevitably stains the towel green.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 13 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 16 »
Jump to: