Half-Blood Prince spoiler/review thread

Post Reply   Page 15 of 19  [ 376 posts ]
Jump to page « 113 14 15 16 1719 »
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 5:04 pm
b77 whipping boy

Yeah, the big yellow blob is tough to miss :D

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
DaMuzikMan
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2005 4:51 am
Just beyond the surreal

Hal... you'll get used to it after a while...

I did... :(

;)

[ img ]
He's baaaaaack!

[ img ] Thanks Lidless!

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Aug , 2005 12:05 pm

I know it’s a little bit immature of me to continue amusing myself at the expense of H/Hr fans, but this is just too much.

Hermionepotter.net actually uploaded the entire text of HBP, but changed it to H/Hr rather than H/G. The reaction on the H.M.S Harmony forums was generally positive, even though some slightly sharper posters on Portkey.org realized that it was obviously illegal. I believe it is down now.

I was also mildly amused by the discussion group called Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Plot. Then there’s various conspiracy theories that I can make absolutely no sense of. Apparently JKR sinking H/Hr was a plan to brainwash her young fanbase into accepting propaganda.

It’s not all negative, though, Emerson’s handling of the situation has got him a fansite: Emerson’s harem. He’s getting an awful lot of publicity out of this.

And to finish with a quote about JKR from a shipper:

“The woman obvious [sic] has no sense of moral fortitude.”

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Aug , 2005 8:54 pm

Oh yes, I've read a few choice excerpts from that opus. It's pretty hilarious. Not only are there the references to the fact that Hermione's fixed her hair so it's now shiny and curly, but any moment she looks anything less than perfect has been "fixed."

Also, in one bit I read, the author seemed to actually throw some Snape/Draco action into the mix. I'm sure that wasn't the intention, it was just Harry and Hermione's lover's banter was a little off.:-)

Though I think Emerson was a jackass and if the H/Hr shippers hadn't been so much crazier by comparison he'd look foolish.

-m

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Aug , 2005 9:01 pm

Admittedly, he did have a point with his delusional comment. JKR more or less sank Harmony last year or so on her F.A.Q. Also, I think that anyone who could miss the R/H banter in the 5 books, it's deliberate placement in the films and JKR's hints on her website does have the blinkers on pretty tight.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 4:27 pm
Fading Softly

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 5:06 pm
b77 whipping boy

Meneltarma wrote:
I'm scared.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 6:02 pm
Fading Softly

This week's collection is magnificent. The Snape/Narcissa sex scene especially. ;)

Quote:
“I promise not to hurt you”, Severus promised. Narcissa nodded, and Severus kissed her. This kiss very deep. It was the deepest one Narcissa had received that evening. And was also very long. Narcissa spread her legs and Severus went between them. He looked for the spot where he could put his penis for a moment but when he realized where it was he did it.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 6:19 pm
Not so deep as a well

I still don't see what Pierre ever saw in Helene. :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 6:49 pm
Living in hope

Wow, Melly, that's some stimulating stuff there.

Don't overindulge—you'll probably grow hair in strange places.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
fras
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 7:44 pm

i think i want to cry.... snape has a penis!?!?!? :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ccmsOrlilvr
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Aug , 2005 10:40 pm
I didn't mean to hit the ditch

That was frightening. :Q This is when we start to realize that we've discussed pretty much everything...

Wampus, when you mentioned the line: "No, Draco," said Dumbledore quietly. "It is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now," it reminded me that I had wanted to say something about it a few weeks ago and apparently it just slipped my mind. I have no idea how everyone else interpreted that line, and to be honest I don't even know how I interpreted it at first, but I was rereading that bit recently and I "got" it (or at least formed an opinion of what it meant). So, are we to assume then that Dumbledore meant that his mercy mattered now because he had made the decision to die so that both Snape and Draco could live? I saw it as a moment where Dumbledore was sounding rueful and sad, and meaning that his mercy is the only thing that will let the side of good still have a fighting chance in the battle.

Those are just random thoughts, but I wanted to at least put them out there and get some insight from the rest of you. Now, by all means, please carry on the fascinating discussion about Snape and Narcissa...

Well if you had run a little faster we wouldn't have been arrested.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 1:29 am

ccmsOrlilvr wrote:
I saw it as a moment where Dumbledore was sounding rueful and sad, and meaning that his mercy is the only thing that will let the side of good still have a fighting chance in the battle.
That's possible. I saw it as saying that all that really mattered for Draco now was not the fear inspired by Voldemort or the desire to live up to the family name or being top dog in potions or anything else, but just one thing: Dumbledore's mercy. If Draco could only accept that terrible and merciful gift, his life would be saved in a manner beyond mere survival.

I hope that makes sense!

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 3:05 pm

Wampuscat wrote:
ccmsOrlilvr wrote:
I saw it as a moment where Dumbledore was sounding rueful and sad, and meaning that his mercy is the only thing that will let the side of good still have a fighting chance in the battle.
That's possible. I saw it as saying that all that really mattered for Draco now was not the fear inspired by Voldemort or the desire to live up to the family name or being top dog in potions or anything else, but just one thing: Dumbledore's mercy. If Draco could only accept that terrible and merciful gift, his life would be saved in a manner beyond mere survival.

I hope that makes sense!
That's how I saw it. Because Draco has just stated that his position is the one of power, Dumbledore is at "his mercy." He can choose whether or not to spare his life. Dumbledore turns that back on him. He's not offering to spare Draco's life but something more. He's offering him forgiveness as his victim and so the chance to make the right choice. Actually, I wrote a big essay on "Dumbledore's Mercy" and what it entailed (I've been just cranking out the Draco-meta after HBP) and I think those two lines are really important in establishing exactly what Dumbledore is offering and Draco is accepting before the DEs appear. It's the moment Harry himself remembers later as well.

-m

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 4:01 pm

I'd like to read that essay, Sister Magpie.

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 6:04 pm

Wampuscat wrote:
I'd like to read that essay, Sister Magpie.
Heh--I realized after I wrote that it sounds like absolutely shameless pimping!

Looking at it now, it's not that long (for me) so it will probaby just fit here:

...I've seen a number of references to Dumbledore's dying or Snape's killing Dumbledore in order to save Draco from having to do it and thus save his soul. To me that seems just slightly off from what is going on. First, as an aside, I do doubt that Dumbledore would die just to save this kid from murder. I very much agree with black_dog's theories about what happened in the tower being Plan B, with Dumbledore dying because it was the least bad of the bad options, done to salvage what he could. Draco's choice is important to Dumbledore, but I don't think he's specifically dying for it. (That part is in reference to a different essay about just what went down in the Tower at the end, and I tend to agree with the theory. It basically says that Snape is working for Dumbledore and not Voldemort, and that while Dumbledore did finally choose death, it wasn't his plan all along. It was just the best option once cornered by the DEs.)

To say that Dumbledore and Snape saved Draco from having to do the deed and thus have that mark on his soul assumes that if Snape had not intervened, Draco would have killed Dumbledore. Only in the scene it's repeated over and over that Draco can't do that. That is, Dumbledore doesn't think he can, and Draco's actions indicate he can't. He has lots of time to kill Dumbledore and doesn't. (In fact, what he does instead is make a confession, which is good for the soul, literally.) More importantly, there's that final exchange between them, where Draco describes his own position as one of power, "You're at my mercy," and Dumbledore replies that it's *his* mercy that's more important. Malfoy starts to lower his wand. Then the DEs burst in and Draco looks less resolute than ever, unable to even aim his wand, much less kill someone with it. The lowered wand indicates him showing mercy in terms of not killing Dumbledore and, more importantly, accepting the mercy Dumbledore is offering him. His last line about Fenrir, as I said earlier, seems to show more connection to DD than the DEs (he tells Dumbledore he didn't bring Fenrir on purpose). The DEs have arrived after he made the choice in his mind/heart.

So Dumbledore didn't "save" Draco's soul at all, in that sense. He gave Draco the opportunity, obviously, but Draco "saved" his own soul (at least for now) when he chose not to kill. What Dumbledore and Snape saved, if anything, was Draco's life, because Voldemort would have killed him for not killing Dumbledore. If Draco had died at Voldemort's hands because he didn't kill Dumbledore (or if he does die at Voldemort's hands--he might yet!), he would die like Cedric did, in a state of grace (Draco's just confessed and been given absolution by Dumbledore). In the eyes of many that's a kind of a triumph. By contrast, if Dumbledore and Snape had saved Draco from killing Dumbledore, it would be just buying his soul some more time. He would be innocent only due to their saving him from making the wrong choice. He would not be making the choice himself and so still be completely passive. This is different from saving the life of someone who has shown the potential to do something better with it.

I suspect that is why Harry focuses on Draco's wand lowering, and why he has that drop of pity, because that choice to lower his wand was a positive action. I think that puts Draco in just a slightly different position than just a child being protected by others (as he is at the beginning of the book). It puts him on the level of those who can make choices for themselves and might make the correct choice. I hate to think of someone "earning" compassion, but I think that act of Draco's earned him not-completely-hateful feeling Harry has towards him at the end of the book far more than his sympathetic situation did.

This is not to say that Draco's a good guy now or any of that, it's just meant to clarify his position as a slightly more active player, if that makes sense, one who has taken one more step over the line from child to adult.

Someone commented after this that Snape hasn't necessarily saved Draco's life and that's true. Voldemort could still kill him for not being the one to kill Dumbledore. But it gives him more of a chance than not.

-m

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 6:06 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Quote:
A/N: Okay people, this is a SLASH. Spell it out with me: S-L-A-S-H. That spells SLASH! Dictionary: slsh okay? That is MALE MALE pairings. In this case it is HARRY AND DRACO. As in HARRY POTTER and DRACO MALFOY. AS IN GOLDEN BOY AND PRINCE OF SLYTHERIN! YES, I know this will NEVER happen, OKAY?? That is why this is called FAN FICTION! Now, that is about EIGHT warnings, plus two on the summary. So if you don't like SLASH, (b/c this is SLASH-there, NINE) DO NOT READ THIS STORY! I do NOT want to see any flames from pathetic homophobic's who DO NOT LIKE that Harry is GAY in this fic (b/c he is-there TEN) GOT IT?
Also, warnings: Dark, Blood, Cutting, SLASH (ELEVEN!!)
If that is not 'your ship' than get on a DAMN plane, you git!
Rain: Morons.
**huff huff** OKAY! There, we are done with the hostile rambling! Above was my muse, Rain. She is...dark. No wonder she inspires me! MUAHAHAHAHA!
Okay, I hope everyone likes this fic!
SLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHS LASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASHSLASH!
Okay, it's out of my system! Enjoy!

:rofl:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 7:56 pm

Great essay, Magpie. Right on target, I think.

I love the situation painted in that encounter between Dumbledore and Draco. The one who seems most vulnerable and weak is the one who shows true strength, who does the unthinkable. And hurray for Draco for choosing -- however tentatively -- to accept mercy.

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 8:46 pm

Axordil wrote:
Well, I thought it was funny! :D

Profile Quote
Tinsel_the_Elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Aug , 2005 10:58 pm
* trolley dodger *

Queen_Beruthiel wrote:
Axordil wrote:
Well, I thought it was funny! :D
And I did, too. :D

And so was this:
bad, underage fanfic writer wrote:
Draco was nervous. He had always knownhw would get his veela inheritance at sixteen but he didn't know it would slowly drive him crazy. Ever since his sixtenth birthday his nose had been asulted with the smell of apples and vanilla. Aparently, the smell of his mate would led him to them.
Thank you, Meneltarma, for directing us to the link for that site! :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 15 of 19  [ 376 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 113 14 15 16 1719 »
Jump to: