Post subject:
Posted: Sat 31 Mar , 2007 11:39 pm
DomiKNITrix

Jude wrote:
!!!!1111unununun
:LMAO:

*exclaims* Zut alors!

*and gets a baguette*

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 12:50 am

Jude, all I know is that K9P makes a GREAT herbicide. Diluting the urine with large quantities of water once or twice a week would probably help a lot.

I have a large backyard, but so far, Ranger has managed to kill a globe cedar, and most of the lower branches on an Alberta spruce!

Edit: Oops...wrong thread! Will move to the Yak-Yak, where it belongs! :blackeye:

Last edited by Sunsilver on Sun 01 Apr , 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 12:58 am
Aspiring to heresy

Did you mean to put that in this thread? :poke:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 1:09 am
WYSIWYG

LOL, this thread seems to have completely osgiliated by now - but still here's moot report, part the second. :D

Sunday morning started with people leaving. It was strange, as it seemed they had only just arrived, and no way could I imagine that normally the moot would already be over for everybody.
From our house, Rowan and Parma (who I seem to have hardly seen at all, because the late Friday arrivals also spent Saturday going to the cliffs) were the first to leave, and Edain would be leaving later that afternoon.

After a quiet morning, though, Sunday held one of the events I was most excited about, because we were all invited to Alatar's house. :D
In the early afternoon, he picked us all up, having to make four or five drives to get us all there, and drove us to his house, where his lovely wife was busy making lunch for 20 people. :shock: :love:

There was then a little thing that was a big highlight of the afternoon for me - alright, maybe I should warn of soppiness ahead ;) - Alatar was carrying Aoife and when I said 'hello Aoife', she stretched her little arms out towards me and smiled a big smile, and Alatar gave her to me to hold. :love: :love: :love:

We also had a look at his fantastic collection of everything Tolkien - I'd like to spend a whole moot there, trying out all the Tolkien games :D - and he even has a set of LOTR in German. :shock: :D

wilko had brought a videotape of Demo in "Weakest Link", which we'd already heard about last year, but most hadn't seen. I don't understand why anyone would subject themselves to such a masochist game, but watching it was hilarious. :D The host was an old dragon, who looked like Margaret Thatcher's evil sister, and who would cross-examine the candidates as if they were misbehaving school-children.
I loved her comments to Demo, though, when he was asked about his job: So, you've come from New Zealand to amend our laws? Why don't you amend your own laws first? :rofl:
It was great to be finally able to see this. :D

Then Jude was asked to bring the piano to produce some interesting sounds, which he promptly did, playing a bit from a LOTR movie music book, and something of his own composition.
The LOTR music once started, Alatar and Jude played their lovely duet of "Into the West" Ro posted the recording of. Alatar asked us to join in the song, but that just made me realise that I had no idea how it went, either in text or tune, I'd almost forgotten it completely. :shock: It was lovely to just listen anyway. :love:

We played around with the piano a bit more, and I must admit I played a few bars from Für Elise (which was all I currently know by heart) - I wanted to know how the piano felt we had read so much about here. It was just a few silly bars, but as playing anything at all when I know someone is listening usually freaks me out, I was rather proud that I didn't feel freaked out at all. :D (I also liked the light touch a lot, as my fingers aren't very strong.)

Finally, everyone who was still there sat down to watch the Ranking Bass cartoon of "Return of the King". Funniest. Movie. Ever! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I don't remember when I last laughed so hard in a movie, and we were still giggling about it the next day. :D

Then it was time to go home, and as many people were a bit tired there was no big party that night. The remaining people at house hobby, though - Jude, Taurie, Matt and myself - went to the hotel pub for some supper and a drink, and back home Jude proposed a game of "20 questions". After two general rounds, we agreed to limit it to Tolkien topics, and it was going on midnight before we knew it. :D

Monday was to be the day of geek moments. We were starting early for a bus tour to the Mithril Miniature Factory and a place called "Torc" waterfall. After an hour's drive, it turned out that we were going in the wrong direction - the busdriver thought we were going to the waterfall first - so we swiftly changed plans (which also offered the opportunity to stretch our legs and take pics), and went to the waterfall, which is part of Killarney National Park, first.
As the toilets at the waterfall were all locked, we went back to the park - I don't know if it had at all been planned to visit there, but while we were there we thought we might as well have a look around - and what a sight it was! A breathtakingly beautiful place - I think there was no one in our group who wasn't awed by it.
One great geek moment was when we came to a set of stone steps, and someone said "this is quite Alan Lee" - and it was! :)

Then onwards to the waterfall - another overwhelming beauty. And being mostly TORCers, we of course had to have a group picture taken there. :D
There was a path uphill from the waterfall, and about half the group was curious to find out where it led - Jerry, our busdriver, leading the way by galloping uphill in a way that completely denied his age.
The rest of us trudged on behind - even deciding, at one point, that we couldn't go on and from now on, we'd crawl...* - but, when we came around another bend, what can I say...we saw the eagle's nest, and the eagles came to ask us if they could carry us anywhere...**

Then we went on to the Mithril Miniatures factory, which was a surprisingly small place in the middle of nowhere. A nice guy explained how the figures are made, and who this Tolkien fellow was ("now, you may not have heard of this character..." - Alatar's trying to point out that we probably had was not finding much credence apparently :D ), but failed to account for the nekkid female Elves who decorated some scenes. We were amazed at how trusting they were - we could have helped ourselves big time there - and much appreciated the generous freebies they handed out after the tour. The guy who'd guided us round even had us line up for a photo in front of the factory, which he took - we fully expect to find ourselves as Mithril Miniatures soon.

On the bus, the previous time, Jerry the busdriver had entertained us with jokes and very memorable songs :D - this time we apparently stunned him into silence by playing another round of "Tolkien 20 questions".
"Is it alive?", "Is it a nebulous concept?" and "Is it allied to the forces of evil?" will probably keep their special status in all our vocabulary. Including Jerry's. :D

Then it was home for the last evening of the moot. We all gathered at Alys's house again for a bit of a chat, but then had to say goodbye to Alatar and Alys, T_A, Hobbi, Inzi and Angela, who were on a very early flight the next day.
We went home, taking the rest of the white wine and the Baileys, and finished it while having a good chat - I mainly remember Taurie and myself comparing school and university experience, and then we had to pack, too, only Jude was staying for another day.

The next morning wilko came over to share a cab, because we all had afternoon flights, bringing the rest of the provisions from their house, so Jude was really taken care of, as far as food and drink was concerned. :D
We drove to Shannon, and it was very nice to have company on part of the way.
I was going to Dublin, and from there to Düsseldorf, but it turned out the plane was just stopping over in Dublin to go on to Chicago - that was definitely the biggest plane I've ever been in (not having been on a trans-continental flight before), and almost completely empty. :D
I had more than three hours in Dublin, and the flight there was a bit late, so I took my time shopping and eating - I had a gigantic, lovely "mango passion" smoothie, which tasted amazing.

I got home alright, wondering whether you could be exhausted from sheer happiness. :)

More thanks are due to the people staying in our house, who were a fantastic bunch, and especially to Taurie for buying some stuff for me, as I was getting there so late at night; to Alys and the people in her house for their hospitality in being the 'party central' and putting up with the mess of having so many people there; to the folks from lidless's house who brought the food on Saturday; to everybody for just being there and being fun to be with; and to Alatar, for making it all possible, and being the perfect host - and of course to his lovely wife and kids for putting up with his crazy friends. :love: :D :grouphug:

*a stirling moment in the Rankin Bass cartoon :D
** well, not really. There wasn't anything to see, and it didn't seem likely there would be, but at least we got a good laugh out of imagining there would be, and we took some fun pics...and it was good exercise. :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 1:22 am

Jude wrote:
Did you mean to put that in this thread? :poke:
Ooops. Obviously not! :oops:

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 8:52 am

:damnfunny: I was wondering why the topic had suddenly changed!

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 5:40 pm
Can never be buggered at all

To get the thread back on track, cross-posting this from a couple of other sites:

A Moot on Three Legs
A Survival Trip to Ireland, or, I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Thursday

I had to wake up at the ungodly hour of a quarter past four. :tired: The preordered taxi arrived precisely at five, and I was at the airport around half past five. The check-in desk for my flight wasn’t even open yet, but that wasn’t any problem; I wanted to have plenty of time for everything, now that I walked slower than usual, and may have had to rest at some point. And, even this early, the airport was quite busy, there were a couple of charter flights about to leave, in addition to all the usual scheduled flights. I had a good breakfast in one of the cafés that were already open, got past the passport inspection, and had plenty of time to concentrate on a detective story I had chosen as my pastime.

The flight to London went smoothly, as did the transfer to the Shannon plane. The corridors of Heathrow airport just felt to go on for miles and miles, and this time, I gladly took advantage of the moving walkways!

Perhaps the plane was a bit early, or I just got out quicker than usual, having been able to cram all my stuff to a cabin luggage sized bag. Anyway, I tried to look around for Alatar who was supposed to come and get me from the airport, but as he didn’t appear in a moderate time, I took a taxi to the hotel. Just when it curved to the hotel, Alys called and wondered where I was; apparently, Alatar had missed me by five minutes or so! :o But, Alys and Angel (who looked absolutely swoonable in a kilt) came to meet me at the reception and took me to their house to wait for the others, who had gone to pick up Rodia and shop in the nearest supermarket (which was quite far) – and with them was Jude, the only inhabitant of our house who was there already, and had the only key to the house. There, I heard that, Wilko had missed his flight, and wouldn’t arrive until the next day.

When the other early birds returned, I wasn’t the only one who could have done with a good lunch so, we headed for one. Durty Nelly’s wasn’t very far, but anyway, it was nice to get there in Alatar’s car. From then on, it was mooting as usual: pub grub, and beer, and cider, and beer :toast: (that day, I was still a bit careful with anything alcoholic though)… After the lunch, we moved across the street to the outdoor tables of The Creamery for a couple more drinks, to listen to the endless cawing of crows nesting in the nearby trees, and to welcome the next arrivals. Then, after it got too cold to sit outdoors, it was the hotel bar first and Alys and Angel’s house – the Party Central of this moot - for the rest of the evening. Our house – Jude, Truehobbit, Taurië, Matty, Edain, and me (poor Jonny had also missed his plane, and couldn’t get there at all :( ) left fairly early though, which suited me very well, after having had such a long day.

Friday

We slept late, of course. At noon (or, actually, a bit after noon, because some people always let wait for themselves :P ), we boarded the bus to the Ailwee Caves and Cliffs of Moher. First stop was the airport though, to pick up Wilko.

The caves were located in the Burren, a rocky and barren land that only seemed good for a pasture; there were quite a lot of cows grazing on the grass that grew between the rocks. But, according to Alatar, there are hundreds of flowers unique to the Burren, and I firmly decided that, I’ll have to get back there sometime in the summer!

The cave tour itself was a bit of a challenge for me. The walkway was good and fairly even, but as it was wet, it was a bit slippery at places. But, I didn’t want to turn back! I got through all right, with good shoes and my crutch, holding fast on the rails, and the help of Inzi (thank you!) on a couple of difficult places. It was a pity that, having just one hand free prevented me from taking any photos in the caves, there would have been quite a lot to picture. But, what was really impressive was when at one point, the tour guide put out all the lights; it isn’t in many places that one can experience such an absolute darkness! And, of course, Tolkien geeks couldn’t do it without ring jokes… :D The light switch was at the end of a bridge, and I was right behind the guide at that point, while most of the people were standing on the bridge; for a moment, I played with the thought of raising my crutch and yelling “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!” :evil: Didn’t do it, though.

Then, it was to lunch at Monks in Ballyvaughan, and to the Cliffs of Moher, listening to the stories of Gerry the driver, who seemed to have an enormous knowledge of the local history. The cliffs were quite an impressive sight! And, over the ocean, next stop America… (OK, Canada, to be exact.) The more swiftfooted went to examine the cliffs on the opposite side from the viewing platform, but I took my time to get back down at a leisurely pace, and had a good chat with Lidless who was also taking it easy.

Back at the quarters, I had some time to keep my feet up before going to the Medieval Banquet at the Bunratty Castle. Gathering was at Nelly’s, as usual, and there, the Friday arrivals joined us.

The welcome toast at the banquet was served in the Great Hall in the second floor, up a winding stair of some thirty steps. I wouldn’t have had to go there, because the actual banquet was in the first floor; but heck, I had just made it through the Ailwee Caves, and I had stairs at home… So, up I went, without any problems, and down as well. The food and wine were good, the entertainment enjoyable, and the company – well, what would you expect? ;)

Again, we gathered at the Party Central, for booze and chat and song - Alatar had brought his guitar, but unfortunately, there were very few songs that people could remember by heart. Fun, anyway.

Saturday

After getting rid of my hangover, I headed with the others to the Bunratty Folk Park, where I moved mostly in the company of Jude and Hobby. I let them go explore the castle, though, and meanwhile, took a look at the smaller houses, and bought souvenirs to the girls.

In the evening, we had another feast, at the Party Central this time: pizza by the hosts, potato pancake by Ber, and various other foodstuffs by others. And, plenty to drink, of course. At some point, I was drawn into a game of Cranium; our group placed the second last, probably because nobody in it would actually have wanted to play. And, if Matty and Taurië wouldn’t have decided that it was time for bed for them, which I also found a good point to leave, the game would probably have never ended!

Sunday

I was the first one up in our house – had to, because I was among the first to leave. There was still some arrangements to do with the transport to the airport, because it turned out that everybody wouldn’t fit into Alatar’s and Jewel’s cars, like it had been supposed at first. So, Parma and I decided to share a taxi, it would give him some more time to recover from the previous night. I’m sorry that I didn’t get to say a proper farewell to quite a lot of people; that was the downside of us being scattered in four different houses when one had a bad leg.

At the airport, I’ll have to give a thumb down to the Aer Lingus check-in. :thumbsdown: There was no info about the numbers of the desks; and, it took me a while to realize that, the one long queue to two desks was the check-in line for all the Aer Lingus flights! :shock: There was at least one flight to America about to leave, and therefore, there of course were whole families with dozens of big suitcases waiting for their turn. So, it took me quite a while to get checked in; fortunately, at some point, they opened another desk for the Boston flight, which eased the situation. And, my flight was late; originally the delay was thought to be 15 minutes, but ended up being a whole hour. Lidless, Estel, Ber, and Mr Ber were taking the same flight though, so I didn’t have to wait alone.

The delay caused that back in London, I had to hurry to catch my connection. I only got an opportunity to say a hasty farewell to Lidless whom I met waiting for Estel in the Ireland flights lounge, and then, it was again miles of corridors to the check-in and departure gate of the Helsinki plane. I got there well in time, had to skip any shopping though, and was home around half past nine. Mr Rowan and daughter #2 were just in the sauna, and I also used the opportunity and headed there to relax.

Somehow, I felt very self-satisfied. :D

I just wish that I could have stayed for a couple more days; judging from the reports and photos, those who were there for Sunday and Monday had a really good time.

And, if it depends on me, this definitely wasn't my last trip to Ireland!

Pics will be up tomorrow; I've actually got them ready, but am waiting for an approval for a couple ones.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 6:22 pm
DomiKNITrix

Excellent and fun report, Rowan. :cheers: Even if you didn't stay as long as some, you did manage to do a lot in that short time! I'll be looking forward to the pictures. :D

Profile Quote
democritus
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 11:25 pm

truehobbit wrote:
I loved her comments to Demo, though, when he was asked about his job: So, you've come from New Zealand to amend our laws? Why don't you amend your own laws first? :rofl:
It was great to be finally able to see this. :D
I thought my reply was better than her comment but either you or the programme edited it out. It was both fun and masochistic, especially with taking too many sudafed to ward off a raging headcold beforehand. Made for a trippy experience.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 11:32 pm

I thought the lady was making a real ass of herself.

Demo looks good on TV. :D

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:10 am
Aspiring to heresy

She did have a real attitude problem, didn't she?

When she mocked his imitation of an Australian accent, he should have said, "Exactly how much time have you spent in Australia?" :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 5:12 am
Sharpe-sighted

Rowanberry wrote:
And, of course, Tolkien geeks couldn’t do it without ring jokes… :D The light switch was at the end of a bridge, and I was right behind the guide at that point, while most of the people were standing on the bridge; for a moment, I played with the thought of raising my crutch and yelling “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!” :evil: Didn’t do it, though.
:LMAO: would have been great to see, though. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:08 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Jude wrote:
She did have a real attitude problem, didn't she?

When she mocked his imitation of an Australian accent, he should have said, "Exactly how much time have you spent in Australia?" :D
She does, the whole premiss of the program is based on her arrogance. Seriously, it may be a Brit thing, but we love sarky, abusive question masters. Anne Robinson has become an institution over here.

I think when they exported the program to the states it vanished, because they didn't get Anne and they didn't get the humour.

Standard student TV, whic is why it survived.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So what would happen if one of the contestants stood up to her?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:34 pm

I know that's the idea, Din, we had the same program over here. I just don't buy it- because she's supposed to be like that. It doesn't feel authentic. She's not pushing any kind of boundaries, because she's been told 'You can be a bitch.' and the contestants expect it and feel all privileged to be slapped around.

With that kind of set-up, anyone could host that show. It's pretend wit, it's plastic, there's nothing unique about it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:53 pm
WYSIWYG

Jude wrote:
So what would happen if one of the contestants stood up to her?
That's not really possible, I think, because they'd have to get in a word edgewise for that, and the host doesn't allow that, so it couldn't happen unless they got seriously upset and fought - and that wouldn't be the idea.

I didn't catch your answer, Demo - what was it?

Whenever someone of the contestants tried to say something, they'd have their speech cut off by Ms Dragonlady, so either they'd not say more than a word or two, or try to say something so quickly it would be incomprehensible. Either way, any getting back at her was effectively prevented.
Quote:
Seriously, it may be a Brit thing, but we love sarky, abusive question masters.
I don't know if it's a Brit thing, but it strikes me as somewhat kinky to enjoy that sort of thing. :P

What was funny to me was the completely straight-faced way of the host - she never showed the least reaction to any of the answers she elicited, nor to any of her own snarky comments. If she'd looked amused herself, it wouldn't have been funny.

Last edited by truehobbit on Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 12:54 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I know, but in this country the most read newspaper is the Sun, the most commonly watched TV program is a soap opera, and the most commonly ate food is prepeared by somebody else :oops:

It appeals to the masses, the lazy and people who don't want to think for themselves, just want to think that they can. You only have to watch the program to see the level of questions asked, rocket science its not.

Anybody can present the show, but she has this sort of 'cult status' appeal in that particular role, which is why she still does this fifteen or twenty years on. Sad but true.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 3:30 pm
Can never be buggered at all

Here are my photos; mostly landscapes, I'm afraid, because I've become a bit shy of photographing people (and from a few pictures, it was impossible to crop out those who don't want their photos online).

If you want some of them in full resolution (1600x1200), PM me, and I'll email them to you.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Taurië
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 4:53 pm
getting out of lurkdom

as posted elsewhere:

exclusive performance by Alatar

linky

Thanks to Matty for converting the file and to Jude for putting it up. (It was not entirely my idea) :)

Apologies for the quality, it was recorded on the coach. I wish I had been swifter at fishing my camera out of my bag...

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Apr , 2007 6:53 pm
DomiKNITrix

*swoons*

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 23 of 26  [ 508 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 121 22 23 24 25 26 »
Jump to: