board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama's Choices

Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Lidless
Post subject: Re: Obama's Choices
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 6:54 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:

Hopeover...
Hoper coaster...
Hopesick...
Hope fiend...
Hopebreak...
Hopelash...
Hoperoots....
Hopeless...the Republican Party right now.

Is there an 'l' in 'Republican'?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 8:49 pm
bioalchemist

A photo essay on what Obama promised vs. what's actually happened.

To everyone who thought things would take an overnight 180: can I please have a toke of whatever it is you've been smoking?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Fri 05 Jun , 2009 6:37 pm
Legendury speller

Yay Obama!

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNew ... IG20090605" target="_blank

I support this 110% :)

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 05 Jun , 2009 6:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

RELStuart wrote:
Psst... it's not May anymore :poke:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Fri 05 Jun , 2009 7:02 pm
Legendury speller

Jude wrote:
RELStuart wrote:
Psst... it's not May anymore :poke:
You Doughnut say... :D

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 24 Jun , 2009 5:16 pm

MoveOn regaining antiwar cojones?

MoveOn Resumes Antiwar Stance
MoveOn wrote:
MoveOn.org resumed its historical antiwar stance this week, symbolically breaking with the Obama administration for the first time. After being criticized for abandoning the antiwar stance that won it millions of activist supporters, the organization sent targeted mailings supporting the demand for an Obama administration exit strategy report contained in HR 2404, by Rep. Jim McGovern of Massachusetts. The measure, which requires the Pentagon to outline an exit strategy from Afghanistan by December 31, had only eighty-four co-sponsors last week, and was blocked by the House Democratic leadership from consideration as part of the supplemental military appropriation of $100 million. Currently it is pending in the House, still opposed by the Obama administration.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 22 Oct , 2009 11:38 pm

US DOJ will not prosecute if you follow the laws of your state.
Its a start.
Quote:
The Obama administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers as long as they conform to state laws, under new policy guidelines to be sent to federal prosecutors Monday.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state laws.
New Medical Marijuana Policy: Obama Administration Will Not Seek Arrests For People Following State Laws

I'm trying to remember if this is the first or second time he's done this, or if this is merely the first time it appears me may follow through on this. If he really is following through on this he's actually right in this instance and I acknowledge it.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 23 Oct , 2009 12:21 am

Was thrilled when I heard this. :)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 23 Oct , 2009 6:45 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Me too. I never thought I'd see CG post that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 23 Oct , 2009 5:39 pm
Insolent Pup

I guess there is something for everyone (except Glenn Beck) in the Obama presidency. He should sign this into law at 4:20 PM.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 01 Dec , 2009 3:21 pm

You Get What you Vote For!
Cindy Sheehan wrote:
The so-called anti-war movement currently finds itself in somewhat of a quagmire: What to do when the man you raised money for, volunteered for, and yes, even voted for, actually fulfills one of his most repulsive campaign promises? First of all, I never understood why, or how, peace people could support someone who voted to pay for the wars while he was a Senator and was quite clear on the fact that he would increase violence in Afghanistan and perform a slow, painful and very incomplete withdrawal from Iraq. Principles that were proclaimed so loudly while Bush was president get shoved aside and buried now that a Democrat is president and how do you get your principles back from the dung-pile of selling out?

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 02 Dec , 2009 2:26 am
Insolent Pup

Oh Cindy Sheehan, go back to obscurity. Sometimes these people don't understand reality.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 04 Dec , 2009 9:51 pm

Before January 20th, 2009, many people who currently denounce her held her up as an exemplar of understanding reality.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 05 Dec , 2009 3:13 am
Insolent Pup

Good for those people. I didn't. What's your point?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 06 Dec , 2009 12:21 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Quote:
What to do when the man you raised money for, volunteered for, and yes, even voted for, actually fulfills one of his most repulsive campaign promises?
Why did she support him if she thought this campaign promise in Afghanistan was so repulsive? :scratch: Did she think he wouldn't end up fulfilling it?

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 07 Dec , 2009 6:58 pm
bioalchemist

Quote:
What to do when the man you raised money for, volunteered for, and yes, even voted for, actually fulfills one of his most repulsive campaign promises?
Well, it's too late now, but next time, you pull your head out of your ass and pay attention to what your candidate is saying. Obama never made any secret during his campaign regarding Afghanistan and what he intended to do there so anyone who voted for Obama and now feels betrayed over his action in Central Asia has only themselves to blame.

Am I happy with Obama's escalation in Afghanistan? No. There was a window of oppurtunity in Afghanistan and it closed years ago. We fucked up big and the only thing to do is pull out. But at the same time I'm not shocked, shocked! to find that he is, in fact, escalating.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 07 Dec , 2009 8:06 pm

Good point. One of the things people tend to do with national candidates is to project our own hopes and dreams upon them. We see that a candidate shares some of our values and we like them so we are willing to support them despite the fact that every part of the puzzle does not fit perfectly. In fact, we are more than willing to ignore those parts that do not quite fit with our beliefs. It is a sort of willful political blindness. Every ideology engages in it to some extent and is is part of human nature.

Candidate Obama told the nation about his feelings on Afghanistan. It was no secret.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 11 Dec , 2009 12:20 am

So Obama goes to accept his peace prize, and spends his speech justifying war.

Nice.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 11 Dec , 2009 12:32 am
Daydream Believer

Even hard core Republicans are begging to like him. :devil: Gingrich and Palin both praised his speech.

The world is offically ending.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 11 Dec , 2009 12:37 am

Most prominent Republicans are quite pro-war, so of course they liked the speech. The war party has two wings. I don't know why so much of the anti-war vote went to Obama. They would have been smarter to vote third party or stay home.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: