board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Racist governor says minorities can't read

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Harvestdancer
Post subject: Racist governor says minorities can't read
Posted: Sun 09 Jan , 2022 8:17 pm

Oregon governor signs bill ending reading and math proficiency requirements for graduation
Quote:
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown privately signed a bill last month ending the requirement for high school students to prove proficiency in reading, writing, and arithmetic before graduation.
The bill, which suspends the proficiency requirements for students for three years, has attracted controversy for at least temporarily suspending academic standards amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Backers argued the existing proficiency levels for math and reading presented an unfair challenge for students who do not test well, and Boyle said the new standards for graduation would aid Oregon's "Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color."

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject: Re: Racist governor says minorities can't read
Posted: Sun 09 Jan , 2022 9:55 pm
Triathlete

The article further states:
Quote:
"Senate Bill 744 does not remove Oregon’s graduation requirements, and it certainly does not remove any requirements that Oregon students learn essential skills," Boyle said, adding it is "misleading" to conflate the subjects of standardized testing with graduation requirements.
While it may be a scientifically proven fact that white, middle class students often test better on standardized tests that were standardized around the knowledge base of white, middle class students, and that Boyle, a spokesman for the governor, is pointing this out somewhat obliquely, it does not necessarily follow that the Oregon governor is racist and/or thinks minorities can't read. That's too big of a leap for me. I'm not up on Oregon politics, so it may be that you make this assertion based on sources other than this article, and I'd be interested in seeing those sources.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Harvestdancer
Post subject: Re: Racist governor says minorities can't read
Posted: Fri 22 Jul , 2022 12:22 am

The key point here is that a spokesman for the governor, Charles Boyle, said the bill would aid "Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color." It can be considered a stretch to equate "he specifically singled out minorities" and "he thinks minorities need a lower standard", or it could be considered "it looks exactly like racism."

I think it looks exactly like racism, that he said minorities need that lower standard. It is right there in the quoted section of the article.

He could have said the bill would aid all students impacted by Covid and the shutdown of schools, but that isn't what he said.

Yes, he's of the party where if you say minorities need more help that proves you are anti-racist instead of racist, but I don't buy that.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: