The Rings of Power

Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 83 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: The Rings of Power
Posted: Thu 01 Sep , 2022 1:04 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

yovargas wrote:
They went up a couple hours after I made my post. Clearly a plan to make me look stupid.
[ img ]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 01 Sep , 2022 8:22 am
of Vinyamar

Its already getting much more favourable reviews than GoT did at the start!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 03 Sep , 2022 12:48 pm

So? Did anybody watch it yet? I haven't yet but would love to hear thoughts here.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sat 03 Sep , 2022 1:18 pm
You are hearing me talk

Yeah. It's good. If it continues living up to the bar set by the first two episodes, it'll make my list of favorite series no problem.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 03 Sep , 2022 1:48 pm

I'm 15 minutes into the first episode. It has promise.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 04 Sep , 2022 11:33 am

And what about the remaining 45 minutes?

The debut got massive viewership numbers!

Amazon Reports ‘The Rings of Power’ Landed 25 Million Viewers for Service’s Biggest Premiere Ever

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sun 04 Sep , 2022 7:46 pm
of Vinyamar

I enjoyed it as very pretty fanfiction with lots of hints and allusions to the Silmarillion. We even see carvings of Beren, Luthien and Huan, but not explained. Lots of easter eggs for the fans, but then some major changes also.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2022 2:19 am

Hoo boy. Just finished the first episode and.....yeah, I did not like any of that. The dialogue, acting, story, directing, editing are all quite bad. None of the characters are appealing or interesting. I found Galadriel instantly annoying. I genuinely struggled to finish the episode. A terrible first impression.

IMO!

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2022 5:20 am
A green apple painted red

Well, I watched the first one, and I enjoyed it a lot. Granted it's been a long time since I read the Silm, and even so I'm pretty sure that many things don't work like that in canon. But TBH, I don't care. It's beautiful, well paced, and fun to watch.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Harvestdancer
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2022 6:33 pm

The critics are overall giving it high reviews, with the fans giving it much more critical reviews. There is an indication that Amazon (and its child company IMDB) are removing negative reviews. I think the negativity can be extreme.

I was hooked from Galadriel's opening line: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it". When Galadriel first got her armor, and the dwarf smith said "This armor is perfection" and Galadriel replied with "It will be once it fits a woman." That scene where Gandolf the Rainbow kicked Daenarys into a pit and screamed "This is Hogwarts!" gave me chills. The true genius was Smeagol Binks calling on the Rohan Senate to give emergency powers to Sauron. When Sauron said to Elrond "Join me and together we can overthrow Morgoth and rule Arda as Father and Son." The reveal of baby Gandalf stole my heart. I fell in love with the scene, where Xena arrives at the battlefield on the planet Geonosis, where they are fighting for the iron throne and she screams "This is Sparta!!!". Then there was the scene where Twilight Sparkle and the Mane Six used the Rings of Harmony to teach Galadriel about the Power of Friendship, that was great. But the final scene, the one that really gave me chills, was when Sauron - when facing certain doom - simply replied with "I'll be back."

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2022 2:52 am

Looks like my opinion is very firmly in the minority on this one! Maybe ep 2 will soften my feelings towards it....

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2022 8:46 am
of Vinyamar

The show is being review bombed in the same way as She-Hulk and Miss Marvel. That's why Amazon has suspended ratings. Most of them are racist or misogynist trolls. Not that there aren't valid complaints, but the vast majority are clickbaiters driving an algorithm. Sometimes technology sucks.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2022 10:54 am

That does suck, Al. I don't even know why someone would do that.

I watched the first episode. I don't think it's horrible, and it stirred up some nostalgia for me, which was nice. I think the dialogue is weak; the visuals are quite good. So, overall, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars, and I'll watch the 2nd episode.

I caught that article, Al, on the Harfoots having Irish accents. I know you said you're not offended, but I do think it's an interesting choice. I'm not sure I'm getting the vibe that the Harfoots are supposed to be the lowest of the races, though. You can already tell that they'll be framed as important to the overall storyline and that they are supposed to be viewed positively for their "simple" ways--iow, the way Tolkien portrayed the Hobbits.

Anyway, early morning thoughts, and I have to go to work. So I don't have time to flesh my thoughts out more than that.

yovi, let us know what you think!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2022 1:21 pm
You are hearing me talk

LalaithUrwen wrote: *  Tue 06 Sep , 2022 10:54 am
I think the dialogue is weak
A number of people have made this complaint. I'm usually picky (and prickly) about language, but I found it all to be pretty well done, which has got me questioning my judgement. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was "the trail grows thin." Gah. Memories of Elrond's "our list of allies grows thin" from FotR. Maybe elves use the word differently. :blackeye:

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2022 3:08 pm

The dialog was better than I expected, given that they had practically no Tolkien text to work with. At least the Elves talk to each other, instead of just intoning things like in PJ-LOTR.

Still haven't watched e2, so my opinion is subject to change.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2022 8:04 pm
You are hearing me talk

I had an Amazon box delivered today and it has the words "Rings of Power" all over the tape. I'm a little afraid to accept this gift... :help:

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 07 Sep , 2022 2:26 am

Considering I liked almost nothing about the first episode, I am very surprised - and a bit relieved! - to say that the second episode was a big step up. I enjoyed almost all of that, which is very unexpected but welcome. Really only the Galadriel stuff still isn't working for me. Basically none of that is any good at all IMO. But the rest of it was pretty nice. I particularly like the Nori hobbit girl. I even enjoyed the dwarf stuff, and I almost never care about dwarf stuff.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 07 Sep , 2022 4:31 am

Dave, that is ominous. Do you above all desire power? Did it come to you on your birthday? Is it precious to you?

Saw e2. For what it is, it was very good, and I appreciate that they are not trying to be something else. It's fun, there's a lot of action, dwarves are adorable, and whoever that guy on the raft is supposed to be, he is pretty hot.

I really like how they just don't explain. Characters don't know things, and neither do we. There is no omniscient wizard to provide exposition.

I hope they can keep it up.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 07 Sep , 2022 3:56 pm
You are hearing me talk

Frelga wrote: *  Wed 07 Sep , 2022 4:31 am
Dave, that is ominous. Do you above all desire power? Did it come to you on your birthday? Is it precious to you?
Uh oh; it's not my birthday, but the box held laundry detergent and I *do* above all else desire power to remove stains...
Quote:
Saw e2. For what it is, it was very good, and I appreciate that they are not trying to be something else. It's fun, there's a lot of action, dwarves are adorable, and whoever that guy on the raft is supposed to be, he is pretty hot.
He looks eerily like a younger, less-bearded Viggo Mortensen, I thought.

E2 had me asking questions about elf mortality that hadn't come up before, like can an elf drown, starve, or die of thirst? I think this must be covered by the "death in battle" clause and the answer is therefore yes, because the alternative is that an elf's body is aware of the intentions of the person inflicting wounds upon it, and only chooses to die if they're hostile. But I think Legolas on Caradhras also proves that an elf's body can take far more punishment than a human's, which maybe makes Galadriel's decision to swim back from the edge of Valinor merely reckless rather than suicidal.

Profile Quote
Harvestdancer
Posted: Fri 09 Sep , 2022 2:14 am

Yes, but sending Galadriel back as a reward for her diligent activities against Sauron goes against how those who left can't come back until it is time for them to do so.

Also, she spent 150 years looking for Sauron and finding nothing, but on her way back from the boat she met a guy whose village was destroyed by Sauron and his orcs. It calls into question her skill.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 83 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: